Currently reading:
Tiles used for skirting

Discuss Tiles used for skirting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edie

Greetings one and all.

I have been asked to put some tiles up as skirting.
The wall where the tiles are to be placed is wallpaper so the tiles will obviously not stick.
I was thinking of buying some very thin wood or MDF and screwing this to the existing wall.
Then glueing the tiles to the wood or MDF.

What do people think?
Is this a good idea and what glue should I use?
Should I use MDF or something else?
The skirting will not get damp, it is not a wet environment.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

edie

My first thought was to try and remove a very small area of wallpaper, then tile to the bare plasterboard..

The problem is the customer has a very young son who keeps pulling stuff off the walls so the tiling/skirting has to be extra strong if you know what I mean.

Plasterboard doesn't seem strong enough to me that's why I wanted to put a back off some sort on it anchored into the wall then use very strong adhesive to stick the tiles on.

Do you think this is a good idea people?

Last edited by a moderator:
E

edie

If that's what she wants. You could cut out the plasterboard to the height of the skirting tile. Then cut down some no more ply or hardie backer board to the same height. Screw this to the timbers, then tile.

Fantastic.

That's the answer and I thank you for it.

What back board would people recommend?
And more importantly what glue?

I will cut the tiles myself out of some old tiles kicking about.

W

White Room

If that's what she wants. You could cut out the plasterboard to the height of the skirting tile. Then cut down some no more ply or hardie backer board to the same height. Screw this to the timbers, then tile.

If you cut it out to the top of the skirting the plasterboard has no support, I would cut 25mm below the skirt line and fix some timber behind the bottom of the plasterboard to stop any chance of it bowing.

E

edie

Just remember if the kid likes to rip things off maybe a tiled skirting might not be a good option as any sharp edges will rip his hands to shreds. Last thing id want is them putting in a claim

The voice of reason.

This really could happen so I think I will take a day or two to think about this job.

Sharp edges really would cause some damage with this kid.

Cut fingers and me the only one to blame.

Many thanks for that.

E

edie

There should'nt be any sharp edges if your doing skirting....

I am cutting the tiles myself out of floor tile rejects.

Bound to be a few sharp edges, they are not ready made skirting tiles.

I will have to sand each top edge and burr it for sharp edges.

A burring tool should do it although it might ruin the face of the tile if I burr too much and too deep.

Think I'd trim the skirting if I was bothered about edges..

How about what you'd normally find in probably every house in the country??

images

E

edie

I do have a wet cutter yes.

It's what the lady wants, wooden skirting would be a lot easier and quicker but he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Also one wall is solid wall with plaster on top.
So we have one wall that is plasterboard in a very bad way and the other that is solid with a plastered finish.

Get a bullnose thingie for your grinder
smile.gif

What's a bullnose thingy?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I do have a wet cutter yes.

It's what the lady wants, wooden skirting would be a lot easier and quicker but he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Also one wall is solid wall with plaster on top.
So we have one wall that is plasterboard in a very bad way and the other that is solid with a plastered finish.

What's a bullnose thingy?

Ats diamond sell them,

Reply to Tiles used for skirting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement