Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles changing colour in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MIKETILER

Have been tiling for a few years and have never come accross this problem before.I laid glazed tiles in a bath/shower and over the last 6-8 weeks some of them have changed to a darker colour.I immediately thought that there was some sort of water ingress at the back and this was soaking into the biscuit.After inspection everything is bone dry.The customer bought the tiles from topps and they were fairly cheap £9.00 a box.One of their staff had heard of this before and said it could be the adhesive that has reacted with the biscuit.The customer has steeped a spare tile in water for about 4 weeks and it hasnt changed colour at all.Customer phoned me today to say that another tile was changing colour.Anybody else out there that has experienced this baffling problem

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
It could be something reacting with the biscuit as you say, I would hazard a guess that the customer is cleaning the tiles with something they shouldn't be. What colour were they and what colour change is happening colour wise ?

M

MIKETILER

Its a tile available in Topps called Valencia Beige its a marbled effect.They are going slightly darker.Its strange that the full tile is changing colour and not ones next to it.

D

doug boardley

it does sound as though there maybe something from the substrate leeching into the tile biscuit and then the grout is preventing it from progressing into the neighbouring tiles. What was the substrate Mike?

D

david campbell

it could also be something in the shampoo/shower gel thats causing it to react like that

M

MIKETILER

the substrate is tanked gyproc and the adhesive BAL whitestar.I dont think its a staining from gel or anything like that as the colour change is exactly a full tile

M

MIKETILER

Here is a photo.Its the 2 tiles by the shower valve which is fully siliconed and the 2 cuts in the corner which sit on the bath P1010032.jpg

D

doug boardley

whereabouts is the new one that's changing colour Mike?, (assuming that this photo was taken prior to customer ringing you today)

Reply to Tiles changing colour in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen