Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiles changing colour in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MIKETILER

Have been tiling for a few years and have never come accross this problem before.I laid glazed tiles in a bath/shower and over the last 6-8 weeks some of them have changed to a darker colour.I immediately thought that there was some sort of water ingress at the back and this was soaking into the biscuit.After inspection everything is bone dry.The customer bought the tiles from topps and they were fairly cheap £9.00 a box.One of their staff had heard of this before and said it could be the adhesive that has reacted with the biscuit.The customer has steeped a spare tile in water for about 4 weeks and it hasnt changed colour at all.Customer phoned me today to say that another tile was changing colour.Anybody else out there that has experienced this baffling problem

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
It could be something reacting with the biscuit as you say, I would hazard a guess that the customer is cleaning the tiles with something they shouldn't be. What colour were they and what colour change is happening colour wise ?

M

MIKETILER

Its a tile available in Topps called Valencia Beige its a marbled effect.They are going slightly darker.Its strange that the full tile is changing colour and not ones next to it.

D

doug boardley

it does sound as though there maybe something from the substrate leeching into the tile biscuit and then the grout is preventing it from progressing into the neighbouring tiles. What was the substrate Mike?

D

david campbell

it could also be something in the shampoo/shower gel thats causing it to react like that

M

MIKETILER

the substrate is tanked gyproc and the adhesive BAL whitestar.I dont think its a staining from gel or anything like that as the colour change is exactly a full tile

M

MIKETILER

Here is a photo.Its the 2 tiles by the shower valve which is fully siliconed and the 2 cuts in the corner which sit on the bath P1010032.jpg

D

doug boardley

whereabouts is the new one that's changing colour Mike?, (assuming that this photo was taken prior to customer ringing you today)

M

MIKETILER

Dave
Do you not think that if it was a leak ,there would be some sign in the adjoining tiles below.Also as I said the customer has half steeped a tile continously for nearly six weeks now and there is no change at all.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
How many tiles is it affecting ? I can see the 2 by the shower valve, are the 2 cuts at the bottom also a different shade or is it the picture, any grout discolouration ?

D

DHTiling

Steeping a tile isn't the same as adhesive getting wet and then bleeding through the biscuit..

You are gunna have to change the tiles if they are stained.. so i would remove those 2 around the showe fitting and investigate the leak and the substrate.. then take it from there..

As for those 2 only and not surrounding.. water can travel in funny ways.. so say for instance not a full bed the it can run through the adhesive lines down over.. but the 2 tiles at the fitting could be from substrate wetting...

Reply to Tiles changing colour in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks