Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles changing colour in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MIKETILER

Dave
Do you not think that if it was a leak ,there would be some sign in the adjoining tiles below.Also as I said the customer has half steeped a tile continously for nearly six weeks now and there is no change at all.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
How many tiles is it affecting ? I can see the 2 by the shower valve, are the 2 cuts at the bottom also a different shade or is it the picture, any grout discolouration ?

D

DHTiling

Steeping a tile isn't the same as adhesive getting wet and then bleeding through the biscuit..

You are gunna have to change the tiles if they are stained.. so i would remove those 2 around the showe fitting and investigate the leak and the substrate.. then take it from there..

As for those 2 only and not surrounding.. water can travel in funny ways.. so say for instance not a full bed the it can run through the adhesive lines down over.. but the 2 tiles at the fitting could be from substrate wetting...

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As Dave says, the tiles are going to have to come off so some investigative work will be looming, a good puzzle to solve though, no ideas apart from the obvious but then why only a tile here and there and not the grout.

Good luck.

D

DHTiling

Looking again at the pic.. and i would say the grout is wet.. it certainly looks that way..

D

doug boardley

I'm guessing now that the two obvious ones near the valve are taking the brunt of a leak, and as Dave says, water could then be tracking down the addy ribs, tracking along the bath and then possibly pooling in the corner and creeping back up the cut tiles.

S

Stewart

I would put my money on moisture getting into tile biscuit. With no silicone down the internal corner, and it being the bottom tiles that get most of the water. Around the shower (which looks like a Mira Elements) water most probably getting into back-plate screw holes.

C

Colour Republic

OK just a guess here, is it possible that these tiles are from a different batch? Were the codes checked? Do you remember the order of fixing them? did you place the tiles where the shower mixer is as you went? or left them till the end?

As I say this is just a guess, but is it not possible that the tiles have always been a different colour (if from different batches) and that it was not noticed at the time of installation, as when they were fixed to the wall the wet adhesive made the all the tiles appear uniform in colour but as they have dried they have returned to there original colours?

just a guess???

Also, the tiles in question are the ones most at risk from getting water behind them. shower tails cut through the two full tiles and the two at in the corner which is where water will pool, it also looks like it is traveling up the wall in the corner. But you say they are bone dry so confused :confused:

Reply to Tiles changing colour in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen