Search the forum,

Discuss Tilemaster Anti Fracture Matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Used tilemaster anti fracture matting today for the first time and found it time consuming compared to my usual choice of matting which is Schluter ditra 25 .....I just didn't like the material.......ill be sticking to ditra from now on or Bal rapid mat.......:smirk:......shame as I love tilemaster adhesives
What was it that made it time consuming, compared to ditra?

I

Ian

Tot

Totally different material in my opinion Lee........
Yeah it's a very different material, I agree. I didn't find it particularly difficult to fit compared to the BAL mat but, the BAL mat is definitely stiffer (I think it has a mesh of some sort in it doesn't it?). Seems a decent product, I'll know a bit more when I start tiling on it tomorrow. So far so good.
image.jpeg

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Yeah it's a very different material, I agree. I didn't find it particularly difficult to fit compared to the BAL mat but, the BAL mat is definitely stiffer (I think it has a mesh of some sort in it doesn't it?). Seems a decent product, I'll know a bit more when I start tiling on it tomorrow. So far so good. View attachment 80699

I agree bri,

Bal rapid mat is stiffer & has some sort of engineered mesh which gives it its durability and its lighter than any other matting I've used and easy to cut in around kitchen units, doorways etc....looking at the area your doing there looks a straightforward spread & roll which I found okay but just found it abit awkward cutting in with the tilemaster stuff around the kitchen & doorways.......

I started fixing on it today and it does bond well
but noticed the material fraying as I was working on it and I've only been on it a day......also found myself hoovering over it as I was moving from one area to the next as sweeping over it doesn't get all the dust etc up.......for these reasons I definately won't be using this product again.......can't knock tilemaster adhesives tho!.....I love the rapid flex & standard setaflex.........let us know how you get along fixing onto the stuff

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Has anyone used this yet?

Tile and natural stone laying

I just completed a large job with it and had to return to replace a few damaged tiles. That was a session I can tell you!
Imo this is one of the best uncoupling membranes I've ever used.

Hi Lee,

No never seen that before.....looks interesting, what's the material like?.......and where do you purchase it from?......was chatting to another fixer today and he was recommending kerracoll anti fracture matting, didn't know they did one, I like to try different products.....what's the cost work out to per metre?

Cheers for the link

L

LM

Hi Lee,

No never seen that before.....looks interesting, what's the material like?.......and where do you purchase it from?......was chatting to another fixer today and he was recommending kerracoll anti fracture matting, didn't know they did one, I like to try different products.....what's the cost work out to per metre?

Cheers for the link

Where I am most of the uncoupling membranes are more or less in and around the same price depending on the quantity ordered, between £7-9 per mtr basically.
The above product imo was excellent, it was very thin, 0.7mm and flat, so used very little adhesive compared to Ditra. It's similar to BAL rapid mat which I've used loads of, although it has a composition like that a roofing membrane in that there is a mesh like structure to it through a fleece like material. When I had to remove damaged tiles I honestly couldn't believe how hard it was to do it. I used a Botament system from start to finish, primer, leveller, adhesive, mat and adhesive etc.
I was very concerned about the floor I had to cover and their technical director for Ireland met me on site and gaurenteed that if I followed his spec that it would not fail. Having utmost faith in Schluter I contacted them and went over the particulars of the job with them in detail and they said they couldn't do what Botament claimed they could and that they'd never even heard of the company, which by the way is global.
Botament told me that their membrane is so advanced that it's the way all membranes will eventually end up like and to be honest I can see why.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you the best feed back I could.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Where I am most of the uncoupling membranes are more or less in and around the same price depending on the quantity ordered, between £7-9 per mtr basically.
The above product imo was excellent, it was very thin, 0.7mm and flat, so used very little adhesive compared to Ditra. It's similar to BAL rapid mat which I've used loads of, although it has a composition like that a roofing membrane in that there is a mesh like structure to it through a fleece like material. When I had to remove damaged tiles I honestly couldn't believe how hard it was to do it. I used a Botament system from start to finish, primer, leveller, adhesive, mat and adhesive etc.
I was very concerned about the floor I had to cover and their technical director for Ireland met me on site and gaurenteed that if I followed his spec that it would not fail. Having utmost faith in Schluter I contacted them and went over the particulars of the job with them in detail and they said they couldn't do what Botament claimed they could and that they'd never even heard of the company, which by the way is global.
Botament told me that their membrane is so advanced that it's the way all membranes will eventually end up like and to be honest I can see why.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Will definately give this stuff I try.......thanks for feedback Lee.........

L

LM

Ditra in my opinion is still the most effective option bar none.
Ok, it uses more adhesive - but that's part and parcel of it's design and function.

BAL RapidMat is incredibly similar to Wedi's subliner flex - aside from the colour - anyone else notice that?

Botament offered a solution to a particular problem that in this case Schluter wouldn't. I swear by Ditra, however this product was introduced to me as a solution for this particular problematic substrate. I was sceptical at first having never heard of it before, hence all the on site meetings with technical support before using it.
It was new to me and I have to say that I'm very impressed by it.
I take it you've used the product on large problematic substrates before Imp and that's why your saying that Ditra is always better. Each to their own, but I'm always willing to learn.

W

White Room

Botament offered a solution to a particular problem that in this case Schluter wouldn't. I swear by Ditra, however this product was introduced to me as a solution for this particular problematic substrate. I was sceptical at first having never heard of it before, hence all the on site meetings with technical support before using it.
It was new to me and I have to say that I'm very impressed by it.
I take it you've used the product on large problematic substrates before Imp and that's why your saying that Ditra is always better. Each to their own, but I'm always willing to learn.

Would you continue using it Lee ?

L

LM

Would you continue using it Lee ?
Definitely, one other aspect of it that I really liked was that it really did stick like s**t to a blanket to the floor, it also has the 100mm grid lines printed on it as well as the overlap line. It's similar to BAL rapid mat but seems much much stronger, especially when removing damaged tiles and I think it bonds better to the floor

Reply to Tilemaster Anti Fracture Matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays