Search the forum,

Discuss threshold strip before or after? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

FreeD

Hi there

Just about to do my first threshold strip...i reckon that after ply and tile etc i'm looking at an 15mm step into the room....i believe its hard to source strips that will make up differences this large...if i can't find one and need to have a joiner make one up is this fitted before or after i tile and how is in fitted?

and currently the carpet is not centred under the door when closed should i cut this back or leave it as found?

threshold-vi.jpg

F

faithhealer

Discuss with customer, leave cutting carpet till last, usually mask the carpet edge with duct tape as well as sheets etc, You can get strips to do the job but ask the customer what she would like, aluminium/brass/wood?

G

Gazebo

Hi there

Just about to do my first threshold strip...i reckon that after ply and tile etc i'm looking at an 15mm step into the room....i believe its hard to source strips that will make up differences this large...if i can't find one and need to have a joiner make one up is this fitted before or after i tile and how is in fitted?

and currently the carpet is not centred under the door when closed should i cut this back or leave it as found?

threshold-vi.jpg

I was going to ask a similar question as i have come across this problem numerous times before and used numerous different things to resolve it.
If you have overboarded with 12 or even 18mm ply and you have ufh and insulation board installed witha large format tile sometimes you can be looking at a 40mm difference in height. I have fitted a nice piece of hardwood stained to suit on theses occasions but sometimes the customer wants to keep a gold/chrome strip, ' Z 'bar threshold strips sometimes work but not with such a large transition. What threshold solutions do you guys use on the whole and any pics and tips re fitting/purchasing.

Hope you are all keeping well and looking beyond this recession(oops sorry credit crunch):smilewinkgrin:

F

Frosty

I occasionally use aluminium angle from B&Q and gripfill it down over the tile edge.
They come in gold, polished and satin silver.

R

rhyd4

i normaly leave it up to the customer to sort out the lip as they tend to know whats best, but on ocasions ive put a 1.5" strip of 6mm or laminat floor under the carpet to bring the carpet closer to the level of the new floor, just to stop you tripping over the step
or to make it softer put another small layer under the carpet close to the threshold

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to threshold strip before or after? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen