Search the forum,

Discuss Thought this could be an interesting and perhaps funny thread in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

might be a laugh if we all shared or disasters from jobs in the past.

I will get the ball rolling,,,

three years ago I accepted a job doing various trades for a customer prior to them moving into a large four bedroom property.

The jobs included:

*Preparing and paitning all wallls and ceilings
*preparing and installing floor coverings

Now i flew right threw the job and all was going well, the work was done to a high standard and no issues at all. I had a tradesman in working for me to take care of the painting side and sent him off with only one last task to do myself. This last task was to install karndean in a bathroom.

Half way through the installation I was fitting around plumbing work which was unfortunatly plastic piping and my blade sliced right through the pipe at the very bottom of the pipe where it meets the floor.

The water starting p*ss*ing out and as this was upstair the water began to run along the joists and damaged some of the ceiling below in the kitchen.

I had to cut of part of the floor with a hole saw to repair the pipe and then wait a week for the ceiling to dry out.

I replaced some of the plasterboard on the kitchen ceiling just be on the safe side and repainted the ceiling.

Believe it or not the customer passed my details onto there friends for more work (lol) I was thinking they would be more likely to have past my details on to rogue traders or something!

I guess even cusomters know that mistakes can always happen. From the minute it happend I was on the phone to the customer and ensured them I would sort the problem and make good the kitchen ceiling if damaged.

do you have any nightmares from previous jobs?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grace'sDad

Drilled into a gas pipe. (Oh Cack!!!)

Unfastened a washing machine cold water feed without turning the isolator off 1st - panicked and soaked the floor, minutes before I was supposed to be tiling it.

E

enduro

Back in the eighties, when all the supermarkets where popping up everywhere, i ran a large landscaping buisness doing all the work landscaping the car parks etc. we had the electricity board out to mark the underground power cables, its was 5pm on a Friday night and i said to the lads we will plant one more tree, so i got in the jcb started digging and there was the biggest bang and flash, and i had dug through a 11kva cable and left a good part of Kent in darkness.....opps anyway i didnt worry as i lived in sussex :lol:

P

Peter

Last year I was doing a kitchen floor. I was half way through pulling the cooker out to tile behind and the whole glass face shattered. The owner of the house was standing in the room thankfully, and seen how it just seemed to shatter. Anyway, his wife said she'd heard cracking popping noises from it that morning but thought it was only her imagination. I thought the job was going to end up costing me more than it would of done if I sat at home. They phoned the shop they got it from and when the fella at the shop was removing a door from one of thier display units, you guessed it, the glass shattered. Turned out there was just a lot of tension in the doors. The door was fixed for them free of charge and there was no hard feelings against me as it wasn't really through any fault of my own. Ended up getting another few jobs off them.

Now I'm always a bit hesitant when it comes to removing cookers!

C

CLAYS TILES

cut through a washing machine cable with wire snips which i had turned plug off only to find someone turned it back on by mistake thinking it was kettle plug!
luckily rubber handle.....still made a big BANG!
frightened the life out of me!!:lol:

T

Turkish

Used to do crane driving. Crane had been in for a repair on the cable unknown to me. Had completed 3 jobs that day and arrived at the fourth where i had to lift some timber onto some scaffolding. As usual the builders hadn`t reserved an area for me to set up so i was resigned to setting up in the middle of the road between with parked cars down either side. Lifted a couple of packs then whilst standing on the scaff (I could operate the crane remotely) i began lifting another load, got it overhead the parked cars in front of the scaff when...........ping!............whoosh!............crash!!! One Honda Civic became an instant convertible!!!! It must have measured about 2ft from road to roof level after the load of timber had crashed onto it. My face was :47: the builders were :speechless: and the owner was remarkebly :mellow:. Thankfully a quick investigation found that the repair on the cable had not been done correctly!

Turkish

T

tfs

Think Im a bit off a sicko, I always get a little giggle when hearing of others workplace disasters. (lol)

I have to say the crushed honda civic was a good one!:hurray:

Reply to Thought this could be an interesting and perhaps funny thread in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen