Search the forum,

Discuss Terracotta sealer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perry

Someone asked how good the sealer i use on terracotta was so i put this cooking oil and egg on the tile 48 hours ago sent them pics and they are coming round later to pick up just run it under the tap lol :thumbsup:
pjc-albums-pete-picture46247-a.jpg
pjc-albums-pete-picture46246-20121016-140936.jpg

pjc-albums-pete-picture46252-20121017-120714.jpg

S

Stonebro2

Yes I know but only problems I have had with Terracotta the past is if I have used Resin type sealers - used to fix a fair bit for Paris Ceramics - what a licence to print that was - just that type of Terracotta Pammet you show they are problematic feckers from an efflorescence point of view - a couple of fixers we passed work to where using yacht varnish and I remember a couple of problems they had with efflorescence coming up underneath - how to get the varnish off?! I think they used wire wool and nitromors - not nice.
Anything I finish Terracotta with, must have a remover that will take it off. Double Boiled Linseed has always served me well, and can be thinned with genuine real Turpentine will post a pic in a minute also LTP antique oil and finished with antique brown briwax

Attachments

• english antique pammets 4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 47
S

Stonebro2

Types of Terracotta I have fixed
San Genis
Teatree - Wellington Tile - Amazing leather looking Terracotta
Lionheart - Wellington Tile - Extruded
Wellington Hand finished kit did an octagon with a little star shape inset
Ferret Semi Handmade - Terranova
Ferret Handmade - Terranova
Ticsa antiqued - Terranova
Reclaimed French - Fired Earth & Paris (Antique Barr was it called or am I thinking of another product)
YHMB std - York Handmade Brick
YHMB Autumn Sunset
Ashcroft Brick works red
Ashcroft Brick works white
Saltillo - Elon and imported some myself
Fired Earth Tumbled
Alistair Mackintosh Red - Presealed - Great product such a shame when he stopped making it
Alistair Mackintoh Honey - Presealed
HR Johnson Extruded Red
HR Johnson Extruded Honey
Acorn Ceramics - Anyone remember them - big Terracotta importer in the 90's Did hexagonal and all sorts of shapes
Handmade red - honey shades and equally good either face up - Terranova
Another company near York who did a really pale cream and thay sold a two part resin sealer for it - fixed loads of it

Susie's

TF
Texas
Hi, I am installing tiles which look exactly like the tile pjc posted with the egg. I can see the sealer works, but can't find any mention of WHAT the sealer is. Is it linseed oil? I'm in the USA and have those tiles and thinking of waxing them with briwax. Does this sound feasible? So glad I found this forum, you all seem so knowledgable about this type terracotta which is not generally found in USA.
im going for the dark, matte, leather look. We have laid a section of floor which I am practicing on, but the exact look has not shown up yet. Also, I don't want the gray grout look, want it to blend in, and have practiced so far with unsanded mocha color. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

sue USA

Reply to Terracotta sealer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.