Discuss Tax return - claiming vehicle expenses or mileage in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Just wondering which we all prefer to claim for when it comes to tax return time....... a proportion of the vehicle costs or mileage?

I have always been mileage, but beginning to wonder if claiming for vehicle running costs may be better?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
May i just say as well, im bloody sick of receipts ,thousands of em over years you are meant to keep, im sure its a pee take by the scum at the inland rev :)

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
6 years worth is all you have to keep.
I do reciepts myself, not forgeting you can write off the cost of the van foe the first 4 years under capital allowances.

Reaction score
Every year HMRC blindfold the office junior who then sticks a pin into a list of businesses who submitted a tax return the year before. The lucky businesses chosen get a full investigation into their returns. If it's you they choose then you are certain to appreciate the pain of keeping all your invoices!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can't wait, the pratts gonna get 20 asda bag full dumped on his desk.
If i wanted to do paperwork i woulda been a flippin accountant ;)

S

steve187

if i have a van that is used solely for work, then i claim all cost associated with that van, petrol/diesel, insurance, tax, parking,repairs etc, and then on top of that i claim capital expenses for depreciation

Reaction score
Don't worry about the accounts. You can find a good 6 week course on the internet - makes you a fully qualified accountant ..... :lol:

W

White Room

That'll cost you, your accountant will have field day with his final bill....pay someone to do your bookwork.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if i have a van that is used solely for work, then i claim all cost associated with that van, petrol/diesel, insurance, tax, parking,repairs etc, and then on top of that i claim capital expenses for depreciation

Don't think so but check with your accountant. I'm the same, my van is for work and everything associated with work. So everything that gets spent on the van is a cost to the business and is offset against tax payable

Q

Qwerty

That's the thing..... I use mine half and half. You can either claim 45p per mile (this allows for all associated vehicle expenses) or expenses and fuel.

R

Rookery

Don't think so but check with your accountant. I'm the same, my van is for work and everything associated with work. So everything that gets spent on the van is a cost to the business and is offset against tax payable
Likewise. My accountant writes down the value of my van each year. You have to remember that once its written down to zero, anything you sell it for is taxable so when I part ex it, I'll get them to give me a quid for it and adjust the price of the new van accordingly.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's the thing..... I use mine half and half. You can either claim 45p per mile (this allows for all associated vehicle expenses) or expenses and fuel.

If that's the case then as far as I'm aware you have to record every time you use your van for business with the mileage you do i.e.

12/8/13 Home - Christchurch - Home 32 miles
13/8/13 Home - Christchurch - Poole - Home 41 miles

ETC ETC

You would then have a balance at the end of the month of how many miles were private and how many were business. Then check how much you spent on fuel that month.

You would then work out the %age of each and figure how much was spent on fuel for business and private use. The business use would then be used in your accounts as a business cost.

You would then need to work out (or your accountant) whether it is financially better for you to separate them like this or claim 45p per mile for business use. You may need to check out but I think if you go over a certain amount of miles the pence per mile comes down.

Reply to Tax return - claiming vehicle expenses or mileage in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay