Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss surface prep in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spud

went to a job today to ditra a floor ready for tiling tomorrow ,I spoke with the foreman several weeks ago when they were screeding and explained the screed would need to be sr1 and above as we are using large format thin porcelain tiles ,he assured me they were getting a professional in and it would be top notch,
Arrrived on site this morning to see a 50m2 area what can only be described as very poor done by a so called screeder, it turns out they let the plasterer have a bash at it ,checked with a straight edge the floor is terrible and checked with a laser it goes form plus 15mm to minus 20 from datum ,the plasterer looked embarassed and tried to claim that the site manager had told him to slope the floor in one corner which turned out to be rubbish as it is a dogs dinner and there is no way a straight edge rule went near the floor ,I will take some pictures of it tomorrow when I rectify it ,costs involved 45 bags of webber floor flex levelling compound and 16 hrs labour ,
another example of trying to save £30-40 pounds has ended up costing nearly £1000

G

Gazzer

At least you will know its right when you come to lay the ditra......So folks never learn ! :mad2:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
makes your blood boil Gary, why can't these muppets just do a decent job ?

every new floor i look at latley just seems to be a mess, and were made out to be the rip off guy's trying to get more money to put it right...:mad2:

I

Ian

I did a floor September last year (kitchen extension), asked the builders to finish the screed 5mm below the existing floor so I could ditra, they made it 15mm lower, told the client it needed about 20 bags of SLC to pick the height up, they said, "can't you just use more adhesive?" Erm, no I can't. Made me feel like I was trying to rob them!

P

Peter

Don't know how some of them get away with it. Poor screeders still get a good enough day rate so no reason not to do it right. As I always tell a builder with rough screeders an extra 50kg of sand cement is cheaper than an extra 50kg of adhesive/SLC.

P

Pebbs

Get over it? Makes you want to run them over flatten them into a pancake and self level over the top. I have had another daily 'flip out today' the screeders have left a 65mm void for 25mm stone to be laid on, and part of it is laid to falls to meet the drainage channel. What in gods name is going on with these idiot faces?

Lynn

Reply to surface prep in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks