Search the forum,

Discuss Support. Advice. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
How did everyone else feel when starting out?

I seem to be suffering with anxiety on the days going to jobs. Doubting my own ability. I’m relatively new and had Misty positive feedback. But I’m getting really nervous as if the customer may be watching me when I’m working (not happened so far) did anybody else get these sorts of feelings?

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
I think its normal.

The more jobs you do the better you will fell about it. Don't be afraid to say no to certain jobs if you feel they might be to much for you at this stage. Good luck.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Take it as a good sign - shows you're conscientious.

Try and switch off in the evenings and not worry about work. Easier said than done but it will become easier with experience.
95% of the time, that anxiety and worry is a total waste of bad energy as it is far too easy to blow little issues up into seemingly insurmountable problems when you're sat at home, and you'll worry you don't have the experience to sort it. Then, when you're back at work the next day and physically in the room looking at the problem that kept you awake that night , you realise it's not an issue at all or an easy fix that you are more than capable of.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Yes mate, perfectly normal and can 100% relate to this! I only started about 3 years ago myself and it was really tough to begin with. What I learned was to stick with small jobs and take my time. If I thought a job would take 3 days, I'd book a week out for it, so I wasn't under massive time pressure.

When the client asks how long you think it will take (which they usually do), I tell them something like "probably about 3 days, but the price is fixed, so if it takes me 4 or even 5 days, dont worry, it wont cost you any more, I just like to take my time to do a good job". This simply alleviates time pressure and lets them know you care about the job.

Even now, I hate it when customers stand and watch, as you always run into problems somewhere along the line, but I've learned not to worry about that any longer. Just take your time, do a good job and focus on that. You will get more confident as time moves on. You should also remember that if you do make a mistake, it can always be sorted, so none of it really matters :)

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
How did everyone else feel when starting out?

I seem to be suffering with anxiety on the days going to jobs. Doubting my own ability. I’m relatively new and had Misty positive feedback. But I’m getting really nervous as if the customer may be watching me when I’m working (not happened so far) did anybody else get these sorts of feelings?
No I was taught how to tile before I started tiling !! I don't know your circumstances !but if you feeling or thinking like this , then maybe sticking squares and rectangles might not be your thing !! Tiling is a job that requires being methodical and basically always producing a great end product !! I have taught quite a few tilers over the years , it is important you get in a mindset of tiling when tiling !! It only looks right when done right

Reply to Support. Advice. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen