Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss suitable substrate for heavy travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

faithhealer

Can't see it being an issue. I take it they recommend 50mm for the length of screw? As long as you 'over compensate' with extra screws/
Or dot and dab as the man says!

A

anotherTiler

Hello and welcome...you can dot&dab the hardi 500 on with rapid set adhesive....

Thanks for the welcome. That's what I was thinking of doing initially but after consulting the Hardie website, I found out that the backerboard is not suited for dot & dab application. I'm not sure why that is but I don't want to go against the manufacturer's installation instructions.

D

DHTiling

You can dot & dab no probs with rapid set and some additional fixing into the board through the dabs once dry....

Hardi doesn't have all info on their site that they should really..

A

anotherTiler

You can dot & dab no probs with rapid set and some additional fixing into the board through the dabs once dry....

Hardi doesn't have all info on their site that they should really..

They have a FAQ section where they say that in some situations the backerboard can be fixed directly to the wall in which case "the boards must be fully bedded on a 6mm notched trowel bed of flexible tile adhesive. The wall should then be drilled and plugged and the boards fixed back to the wall with a suitable screw." This will be no good to me as then the surface will be 20 mil recessed.

In the same FAQs they say that the Hardi is not suitable for dot & dab. Dave's idea is probably doable but I will have no cover if I go against the manufacturer's instructions.

FAQs | James Hardie Europe

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brindle

Well, today I spoke to my customer this morning and explained my concerns, and gave him the solution which he was fine with. So armed with 10 sheets of Hardie Backer, off we went.
Fixed as per Hardie backer point 5 as you say....Walls that were old pinked plasterboard, flexi cementious adi, then boards up, staggered, and drilled into studwork. Some p'board plugs and screws here and there too. Another wall was old masonry and some well stuck on small tiles, same treatment here, only drilled through, plugged and screwed all over. You could hang an elephant of these walls now :) YAY.

Tiles go on tomorrow....

Reply to suitable substrate for heavy travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks