Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss suitable substrate for heavy travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

newplumb

Hi there. I'd appreciate some advice please....

My first time tiling with travertine. The customer is going for 600x400 (12mm thick) tiles. The plasterboard around the shower-bath is to be replaced by aquapanel, so can I just check whether you would recommend that I carry out any surface preparation to the aquapanel before tiling with these tiles.

Around the rest of the bathroom, the tiles are only going to go up to a height of approx 1200mm (i.e. 3 tiles high). The walls are a mix of plasterboard, and solid (brick and plaster). I would also appreciate some advice on the best approach to preparing these walls (I'm guessing Im going to need to replace the plasterboard!).

Finally, if you could recommend the most suitable adhesive for the above mix of surfaces I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance
Matt

L

LM Ceramics

plasterboard would be suitable substrate but dont skim over the plasterboard thats when the weight issues will come in i would use normal single part flexi BAL depends which brand you use and prime the plasterboard with a suitable primer NOT PVA

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

As said plasterboard be cool then put a tanking membrane over it before you tile the wet area.............

N

newplumb

Thanks both,

That's very encouraging regarding the plasterboard - I've used BAL spf along with the BAL prime APD on plasterboard before, just not with this size/weight of tile.

So for the aquapanel (there's not going to be any plasterboard in the wet area), no additional prep required - is that right?

Thanks

G

grumpygrouter

No other prep required for the aquapanel but you might want to seal the joints unless you are going over with a tanking membrane.

B

Brindle

Is it not the general case that plaster weight must not exceed 20kg m2, and plaster board 32kg? Or is that just the theory?
I hope in practice more weight can be hung cos I have one this week!!

G

grumpygrouter

Is it not the general case that plaster weight must not exceed 20kg m2, and plaster board 32kg? Or is that just the theory?
I hope in practice more weight can be hung cos I have one this week!!
Correct...it is not just theory!! Weight limits are there for safety reasons. Exceed them at your (insured?) peril!

B

Brindle

Yes I am insured :)
Are there any stats I wonder for 'people injured or killed by tiles falling off wall' - be interesting to know?

D

DHTiling

Yes I am insured :)
Are there any stats I wonder for 'people injured or killed by tiles falling off wall' - be interesting to know?

Why do you wana see stats....???

Amazes me that a tiler wants to over exceed weights...

Just for the sake of extra prep work..:mad2:

B

Brindle

I just said it would be interesting!
I don't want to exceed the weights, i was playing devils advocate really as the first post indicated the weights were likely to be exceeded, that's all. Then it seemed that others might also exceed the weights - this size trav with adi is more like 43kg.
I don't mind carrying out the extra prep

A

anotherTiler

I have a similar problem. My customer wants a shower area tiled with 600x400x12 travertine tiles. Currently the bathroom walls are drylined with plasterboard and skimmed. Since the tiles are going only around the shower tray which is 1400x900, I have decided to cut out the plasterboard in the corner where the shower will be and replace it with Hardie backerboard which can take the weight of these tiles. The challenge is how to fix the backerboard flush with the plasterboard. The plasterboard is fixed with adhesive and the distance from the brick wall to the face of the p/b is only about 40 mm. According to the Hardie instructions, the backerboard has to be fixed to studs which are usually at least 50 mm deep. If I do that the face of the backerboard will end up about 20 mil above the face of the p/b. I was wondering if I could use 1x2 studs with the wider side against the wall so that the stud plus the backerboard will come within 2-3 mm from the face of the plasterboard. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Reply to suitable substrate for heavy travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks