Search the forum,

Discuss suitable substrate for heavy travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Yes I am insured :)
Are there any stats I wonder for 'people injured or killed by tiles falling off wall' - be interesting to know?

Why do you wana see stats....???

Amazes me that a tiler wants to over exceed weights...

Just for the sake of extra prep work..:mad2:

B

Brindle

I just said it would be interesting!
I don't want to exceed the weights, i was playing devils advocate really as the first post indicated the weights were likely to be exceeded, that's all. Then it seemed that others might also exceed the weights - this size trav with adi is more like 43kg.
I don't mind carrying out the extra prep

A

anotherTiler

I have a similar problem. My customer wants a shower area tiled with 600x400x12 travertine tiles. Currently the bathroom walls are drylined with plasterboard and skimmed. Since the tiles are going only around the shower tray which is 1400x900, I have decided to cut out the plasterboard in the corner where the shower will be and replace it with Hardie backerboard which can take the weight of these tiles. The challenge is how to fix the backerboard flush with the plasterboard. The plasterboard is fixed with adhesive and the distance from the brick wall to the face of the p/b is only about 40 mm. According to the Hardie instructions, the backerboard has to be fixed to studs which are usually at least 50 mm deep. If I do that the face of the backerboard will end up about 20 mil above the face of the p/b. I was wondering if I could use 1x2 studs with the wider side against the wall so that the stud plus the backerboard will come within 2-3 mm from the face of the plasterboard. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

F

faithhealer

Can't see it being an issue. I take it they recommend 50mm for the length of screw? As long as you 'over compensate' with extra screws/
Or dot and dab as the man says!

A

anotherTiler

Hello and welcome...you can dot&dab the hardi 500 on with rapid set adhesive....

Thanks for the welcome. That's what I was thinking of doing initially but after consulting the Hardie website, I found out that the backerboard is not suited for dot & dab application. I'm not sure why that is but I don't want to go against the manufacturer's installation instructions.

D

DHTiling

You can dot & dab no probs with rapid set and some additional fixing into the board through the dabs once dry....

Hardi doesn't have all info on their site that they should really..

A

anotherTiler

You can dot & dab no probs with rapid set and some additional fixing into the board through the dabs once dry....

Hardi doesn't have all info on their site that they should really..

They have a FAQ section where they say that in some situations the backerboard can be fixed directly to the wall in which case "the boards must be fully bedded on a 6mm notched trowel bed of flexible tile adhesive. The wall should then be drilled and plugged and the boards fixed back to the wall with a suitable screw." This will be no good to me as then the surface will be 20 mil recessed.

In the same FAQs they say that the Hardi is not suitable for dot & dab. Dave's idea is probably doable but I will have no cover if I go against the manufacturer's instructions.

FAQs | James Hardie Europe

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to suitable substrate for heavy travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen