Search the forum,

Discuss Stepped Floor Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newpark7

Hi All

I have to tile a concrete bathroom floor, the floor differs in level to the next room (hallway) which is already tiled.

The bathroom floor is 30mm lower than the hallway FFL, the bathroom tiles are 600 x 300 Porcelain 10mm thick, allowing 8mm for adhesive this leaves a 12mm gap to fill.

Any advice would be welcome as to the best way to overcome this, as I think 12mm is a bit much for a leveling compound.

Thanks

Mark

D

diamondtiling

Many SLC's will easily cope with 12mm.
I have used one today in a kitchen where the tiles have come through from the hallway, there was a drop of at least 20mm, I used Ultra SLC and it will be fine when I return tomorrow.

You can also get a trim that allows for a height difference of 25mm between surfaces, I think its made by Tilerite.

:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

s.l.c wil cope with 15mm no probs,mapei fibreplan i think can do 30mm in one go

D

doug boardley

don't forget that your adhesive depth will squash down below 8mm, even using a 20mm half round solid bed trowel (with a 10mm radius)

N

newpark7

Thanks for the replies guys - is the Ultra SLC you mention still pretty fluid I.E half self levelling and is it a 2 part latex or a 1 part system?

Thanks

W

White Room

I've used the 2 part self leveling from ultra but I could only do upto 12mm with sand added for the greater depth.

I think they do a deeper version but have'nt used it.

D

doug boardley

12mm backerboard has to be best option though I'd have thought, just because it meets required thickness, less messy and tileable once the addy bed has set:thumbsup:

N

newpark7

Any particular make of backer board? Hardis website states not to be used directly on concrete floors?

Mark

Reply to Stepped Floor Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen