Search the forum,

Discuss Small gaps...prior to tanking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wishy

Hi I am about to get a tiler in to make a second attempt at tiling AND TANKING my shower room.

First time round by a different tiler, was a disaster and the tiles all fell off. Down to a combination by builder and tiler, of ill attached plasterboard, sealing with PVA, no tanking and dot and dab fixing of large tiles.:mad2:

I have since refixed noggins and moisture resistant boards, securely.
I am left with small gaps from 2cm to only millimetres at various edges and around shower pipe inlets.
See attachments, hopefully!

My question is with what should I fill these prior to the tiler arriving to tank and tile the room, plaster, silicone, or...?

Attachments

• edit 199.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 127
  • edit 197.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 131
  • edit 198.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 100
  • edit 200.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 112
  • edit 201.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 120
F

faithhealer

Hi Wishy, sorry you had a bad experience first time round.
What sort of tanking system is your tiler using. If it has 'jointing tape this will cover the small gaps. Impey tile safe for example comes with a putty for such gaps. I would plaster any hololes in the ceiling but leave the holes around the shower mixer pipes for now, the plumber might need some 'play'

D

DHTiling

I would just fill the gaps with a rapid setting filler....one coat is good from wickes...then contact Wetdecs...his banner is on the righthand side of the page and buy some of the durabase wp membrane and the flexible jointing tape as well.....

good luck...

W

wetdec

Hi as Dave says give me a shout in your own time.

NOTE.... from the pics you have I can say there are no where near enough fixings in those boards, unless of course you have dabbed them on. You will need to resolve this before you start filling gaps etc.....

tiler

W

wishy

NOTE.... from the pics you have I can say there are no where near enough fixings in those boards
Boards are all screwed to nogins at no more than 30cm centres. I think maybe this is not shown in the photos. Is this enough Wetdec.

I believe the tiler uses BAL tanking / adhesive products.
Cheers guys

D

Daveyboy

Hi Wishy..what's that fused switch spur doing inside a wetroom?? it's certainly not waterproof and needs to be in zone 3 or outside the zones.. my own personal preference is positioning them outside the room but if it has to be inside the room then higher than than the shower outlet/shower head...:thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

Agree with the fused spur.

Also could you not have made the job easier and used aquapanel in the shower area as opposed to plasterboard and tanking?

[Bounces this off Wetdecs]

W

wetdec

@ Wishy.......pic 2 shows 3 screws in the whole area m8 and no sign of framing being screwed top and right.

@ CC Its choice isnt it, 2 plaster boards tanked v backer board roll of tape fixings, the latter is probably dearer

@ Wishy.........spur needs to be a pull switch double pole on ceiling or out of the room. Hope youve got an rcb on that

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wishy

Yeah RCB fitted to spur and switch is going outside on pull switch, when electrician turns up.

Pic 2 does show three screws and gap between 2nd and 3rd screw is only 250mm as top and all down left side has been attached with gyproc adhesive.
Sorry if photos are a little misleading Wetdec. I've took another, hope it looks sufficient...as I say max gap between fixing on this board is 290mm.

Fixings for aquapanel seemed a little daunting to me and read somewhere about these panels needing special treatment anyway befor tiling. I only did what my tiler recommended, he is the expert, and I found him through this forum.

Attachments

• DSC00134.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 92

Reply to Small gaps...prior to tanking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen