Search the forum,

Discuss Sloping ceiling. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

Got a job to start next week for a builder, and the client has a shower in here loft conversion that has a sloping ceiling and she wants it tiled...But the tiles she wants are 600x600 15mm thick granite :yikes: The ceiling has backer board on it ready to tile. There needs to be 4 tiles on the ceiling, and I'm not too happy putting these buggers on a ceiling in a shower her kids are going to use. I have told her im concerned about this. What would ou do? :thumbsup:

H

hillhead

Thats not a great situation to be in.you'll need the highest grab ability of adhesive known! The boards will have to be well screwed to the rafters or whatever.the weight issue doesnt help either.pity some sort of discreet clips maybe couldn't be used.

D

DHTiling

As long as you solid fix, then no probs..there needs to be no flex in the timbers...it is just the sloped bit isn't it..?.

Think of it this way... How many big windows heads/ cubby holes and niches have you tiled and the tiles are still there...the correct fixing/prep and it is fine in a small area like that.

Our US friends do this type of fixing day in day out.

D

dagger

600x600x15mm GRAVITY..mmmmm i would dodge this or mechanically fix, but to mechanically fix you need to know what is behind the substrate in order to fix correctly....just an opinion!

Lee.

S

sranners

Hi mate. i have tiled a couple of ceilings now but only small ones in the top off shower areas and mainly in stone mosaics, the biggest bit of advice would be to strengthen the beems as much as posible.
Any Qs on how i do it pm me.

D

diamondtiling

What about steam rooms and similar, they are tiled on the ceilings, get a good quality adhesive for the tiles in question and ensure 100% coverage, you should not have any problems. You could use supports if you want to but thats a personal choice, I have done so many that I know the tiles will hold if the surfaces are prepped accordingly.

D

dagger

am i the only one that 600x600x15mm is too much...each tile will be 15-20kg each as it granite!!!

if i am wrong then great!!!!!

S

sranners

I recon it will hold, im not shour if adhesive companies do but is it not about time they started to state what they will hold on a ceiling, ceilings in the states and canada are done all the time,
prep prep prep.

D

diamondtiling

iv'e mosaiced plenty of steamroom/prep rooms ,but mosaic is usually light in waight :thumbsup:

Dave you are right regarding mosaics etc but if the specified tile is an oversized tile then you have to work with that spec, Modern day adhesives will hold the tiles in question, it does not matter how big the tile is, it could be 500x500 or 1500 x 1500, its all relative with regards to adhesive and size, some need support before drying and some do not. Prepared surface's are the key ingredient's

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Got a job to start next week for a builder, and the client has a shower in here loft conversion that has a sloping ceiling and she wants it tiled...But the tiles she wants are 600x600 15mm thick granite :yikes: The ceiling has backer board on it ready to tile. There needs to be 4 tiles on the ceiling, and I'm not too happy putting these buggers on a ceiling in a shower her kids are going to use. I have told her im concerned about this. What would ou do? :thumbsup:

As you might have read in the thread that Whitebeam posted, we set tile on a lot of ceilings here. The key elements to this are the framing specs for the rafters, how the cement board is installed, and how to use setting material properly.

The fact that the tile is over a half inch thick and 4 sq ft per tile really isn't the issue. Think of it this way...we would all feel OK installing this if this material were cut down to 6" squares, right? Taking the tile size up to 2' X 2' only means that you need to keep good coverage going on a larger scale. The epoxy that I mentioned in that other thread is good for slabs up to 2" thick. The stone will fall apart before that epoxy will lose its bond. :thumbsup:

Reply to Sloping ceiling. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen