Discuss setting out,which feature to centre? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

59peejay

The wall facing the doorway to my bathroom has two windows a small one over the pan and a larger one 1.2m wide separated by 750mm wide peice of wall,should i start from the centre of this wall or the centre of the larger window?.
Doing either only moves the other off centre by a couple of inches and leaves me with not too bad cuts at either end.
This peice of wall will have a 500mm wide mirror covering a large portion of it at eye level.

D

doug boardley

it's a tricky one, what you gain on the swings you could lose on the roundabouts! I'd be tempted to centre off the in between pillar and work it back to the windows. Hard to say really though without seeing the job and tiles to be used:thumbsup:

P

paulyoung666

The wall facing the doorway to my bathroom has two windows a small one over the pan and a larger one 1.2m wide separated by 750mm wide peice of wall,should i start from the centre of this wall or the centre of the larger window?.
Doing either only moves the other off centre by a couple of inches and leaves me with not too bad cuts at either end.
This peice of wall will have a 500mm wide mirror covering a large portion of it at eye level.

get yourself a piece of batten , then mark it out with a pen to the size of the width of the tile , place it on the wall and move it back and forth so you can see what looks the best , try and think about tiny little cuts in the corners as well though :thumbsup:

T

Tecnik2000

Hi Jay, I agree with Doug,though you will need to view all the cuts to both windows & the corners to avoid silly rips possibly not worry about a centre line better to have a balanced view of the whole wall

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Doug says, its hard to visualise. Pics might help. I tend to set out each job as I see it. Aesthetically, the more you can centre, The better. But some jobs take a little more effort than others:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Hi..

What ever you think looks the most symmetrical and pleasing to the eye and go with that..:thumbsup:

A

Aston

or pinch rod, or jury stick or story stick...

gauging staff, stick , battern, rod, staff ???????????????????? :lol:

Reply to setting out,which feature to centre? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley