Search the forum,

Discuss Sandwaves Ivory - Polished Porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MysteryM

We are looking to lay a new floor which will encompass a kitchen, family room, utility room and hall which is about 65 sq meters in size, meaning I'd have to buy 70 sq meters plus.

ideally we had our hearts set on the same polished tiles throughout. Has anyone had any experience of topps tiles sandwaves ivory polished porcelain tiles (link below)? Are these glazed tiles or just normal tiler sealed stuff?

The thing that worries me is that glazed porcelain can stain and scratch easily and I'm worried that after spending a small fortune buying these tiles that they will be knickered by my kids in a few months through food spills etc?

Now my brother has polished tiles in his house (they've been there about 6 years) and have been perfect but I'm not sure if the are porcelain or glazed ceramic. I'd happy have those if I knew what they were (it was a new build and fitted by the builder).

Can anyone give me some advice please? We are running with a strict budget so can't afford to get this wrong.

If anyone has any other tiles that they can recommend that would be fantastic too, we have a topps in coventry so that's why I was going to go with them. Porcelenosa are too expensive for me unless they have a sale soon!

thanks in advance :hurray:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Agree with Lee ^^^^^

Over that size area there would be too many grout joints and your eyes would be drawn to the joint rather than the beauty of the tile, and in turn making the area look smaller. The larger the tile you use, it will make the floor size look bigger. Either a 60x60 or 60x30 would be my choice, nothing less than 45x45 IMO.

D

DHTiling

I also agree , aesthetic looks will be masses of joints .. the bigger the tile over bigger areas can be nicer on the eye.

M

MysteryM

I'll try and answer your questions:

- the tiler I am going to use said that some polished porcelain tiles scratch and stain easily, and advised I get a sample and test wine stains etc with it. That's why I asked if the topps tiles were glazed as I am led to believe that a glass coating makes them more durable. I've seen the tilers work and he's certainly done some good tiling and so ticked the right boxes.

- my brother has a similar house and he has 30x30 tiles and they look really good, that's why I was going for the same. I take on board what you are all saying. You can buy sandwave in 60x60 as well.

- I just want a polished tile that's durable and I want a showhouse look when they are down and hence the tiles need to be uniform. I'd love to only source from porcelinosa but they are too expensive - not sure when they or topps have sales.

M

MysteryM

Oddly the 30x30 tiles are stated to have a glass finish, and the 60x60 a gloss finish. Either that's a typo or the finishes are different.

How do I know if they are glazed? Sorry I can't post a URL not messages at the moment.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
polished porcelain tiles are not glazed, so may need sealing , depending on the finish ( they may have been sealed in the factory) the supplier should know this, glazed porcelain or glazed ceramic tiles come with a glaze on them and do not require sealing, imo you get what you pay for when it comes to polish porcelain, ....we all remember the B&Q rubbish, although im led to believe they have been improved..

M

MysteryM

Ok, I understand, so when I'm looking for shiny tiles I shouldn't be looking for polished porcelain, instead I should be looking for glazed porcelin if I want a hardwearing tile.

Reply to Sandwaves Ivory - Polished Porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen