Search the forum,

Discuss Rubi Anniversary Tile Cutter in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Just been browsing Rubi's Facebook page.

11831673_688061587992359_8556735241918859808_n.jpg

And I thought tile cutters only got introduced in the 1980's... this was built in 1955. Apparently UK tilers were still using knitting needles and wooden rulers to score tiles. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Been talking about this to tiler who has been in trade for 44 years. He started with a hammer and 5/8 inch chisel to score tiles. Apparently the cuts were a bit rough (like you get when using sigma cutters) but nobody seemed to notice.....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a sigma cutter that I've had for ages approx 18 years and I'm still using it on a daily basis. ..
Can a rubie user beat that?...not just owning it.....using it daily.

Reaction score
The Rubi v Sigma debate will never end. I happen to be Rubi supporter. Not really against aother makes, to me it's a question of what is the best working tool for an individual, I simply slow down using single bar cutters -at my age anything that tends to slow you down is a clear disadvantage.

Over the years I have met a fair few tilers who have many more years experience than me - the split between camps was pretty even. But whichever camp they were in - Sigma or Rubi, they were totally against the opposition.

But I have the definitive advice for anyone thinking of buying a new manual cutter -try both. The best cutter is the one you are most comfortable using, cuts accurately, reliably, and quickest when you use it. It's never a good idea to simply follow the advice of others, what works well for one may not work well for another.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a sigma cutter that I've had for ages approx 18 years and I'm still using it on a daily basis. ..
Can a rubie user beat that?...not just owning it.....using it daily.

This Rubi v Sigma thing is boring now.

Had a TS40 in my topps tiles store that was about 6 years old and got used heavily every day due to the tile cutting service we'd provide customers who did their own tiling. Ceramics, quarries and vitrified porcelain. That's pretty good going. I left after then so not sure how long it's carried on lol

Reply to Rubi Anniversary Tile Cutter in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen