Search the forum,

Discuss Replace tiles in wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John Lyden

I am having a new house built and we have a wetroom in the upstairs Master en-suite bathroom.
The builder used mosiac tiles in the shower area and 300 x 300 tiles in the rest of the bathroom.
The shower tray is 1800 x 900 and we expected the shower to be the same size.
The problem is the area of mosaic tiles measures 1575 x 975 and they are in a contrast colour so it is very obvious they do not match the enclosure size.
The floor tiles were laid first and the wall tiles afterwards.

My question is what are the implications for the wetroom floor if the builder lifts the tiles and replaces them to the correct dimensions ?

B

brian c

If you are not happy and thats not what you specified then get him to do it the way you want it.Implications are that it might damage the former on the floor and most definately will need to be tanked again.

You will be lucky to save the former tbh if you are using one.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Lyden

Thanks for your speedy reply Brian.
I have told the builder that I want the mosaic tiles on the original 1800 x 900 area. Does retanking involve lifting the entire floor or can it be done just on the repaired area ?

John

C

cornish_crofter

Hi John

Welcome

It would depend what former is used among other things. There are several on the market and the bottom line is - can the tiles be lifted without damaging the former or the waterproof membrane on top of it.

Assuming it's a preformed former made out of ABS or similar (like the Tilux ones) I suspect that the former could be saved if enough care was taken but he should bank on having to replace the water proof membrane on top. Having just peeled the membrane back on one to trim it to shape it is glued very well but the glue will fortunately give before the actual ABS underneath.

As for the rest of the floor. It really depends how he's tanked it, if indeed he has.

If there is more membrane then if he is lucky he may be able to save enough overlap of membrane near the tiles that don't need lifting if he is very careful.

Reply to Replace tiles in wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen