Search the forum,

Discuss removing old floor tiles and retiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daveyboy

From the picture, It looks like you have lifted some of the screed and if you say it came up easily with the tiles, then it has seperated from the concrete slab for some reason. There is a crack running through the concrete slab where the screed has been removed which suggests you have had some movement in the floor, sometime in the past, which may explain why the screed has seperated..make sure the rest of the screed is sound then re-screed the rest - it's quite deep for SLC unless you mix it with sand..let it dry then prime the screed and lay an uncoupling membrane over the screed before tiling..this should prevent your new tiles from cracking...

R

Rob Z

WB, I thought that too, but a closer look and it seems like that is some cloth mesh laying on top...maybe these were sheet mounted tiles?

U

Unregistered

help i am removing tiles from chipboard( floor tiles) wich have flexable adhesive and has taken 6hrs for 8 tiles so far,
using bolster and lump hammer, hard work, and tips out there cheers keith

J

james fowler

naw, this is an old thread but that guys floor there is not the foundation. I was searching for this answer myself and landed here. just to clarify ...my floor in our kitchen and is not on the ground floor there is a bedroom directly beneath it. SO NO FOUNDATION! I pulled up our tile and found this exact thing to a tee. seemed/looked more like they poured concrete over the foam part of carpeting which petrified the foam, then they tiled it. I am curious as to what he hell it is? i've been around for some time and been on multiple types of jobs and ive never seen anything like it. why it is so thick is beyond moronic. anyways yeah guess the only alternative is to get leveler or a bag of cement and fill the holes, after it sets use a grinder to help smooth where needed Im guessing. because taking it all out down to the wood would mean having to take out all of the existing tile too ( there may be cement board at the very bottom screwed to the floor itself but I dont want to find out.) I hope that anyone that comes across this doesnt listen to those other bits of "knowledge" its some sort of concrete type adhesive thats super thick - not a foundation, although it may have been directly applied on top of a foundation slab.

Reply to removing old floor tiles and retiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen