Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Remove Grout From Internal Corners? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SB4U

Hopefully a quick one for ya.

When I grouted recently I was obviously not careful enough and got some grout in the internal corners in a few areas, where I had intended to silicone. Do you think I should remove all the grout before I silicone or will I get away with it do you reckon? I did try to scrape some out last night using a stanley knife but chipped a bit of the cut edge of the tile so I don't want to faff about with this unless it's really necessary.

WP_20151001_09_28_39_Pro.jpg

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If your chipping tiles I wouldn't bother, it more than likely won't be full depth anyway, and I wouldn't like to replace tiles at this stage.

S

SB4U

Thanks @Alan.P. You're right, I really don't fancy replacing any tiles.

Although I've sent the wife out to get me a tile rake from Screwfix so maybe I'll try that to open the gap out a bit. If there's any more chips though I'll give up on it. I should have dealt with it whilst it was still soft of course but I always seemed to be chasing my tail to get it done before the grout went too hard.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If your adamant on getting some out and the rake doesn't work, try a hammer and old flat screwdriver and chip away at it.

S

SB4U

I think that if the rake doesn't work I won't sweat it any more and will just leave it as is.

S

StevieBoy

I wouldn't worry about that at all matey, it will be fine going over it with silicone.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I personally fill mine then silicone , i aint had one crack yet, my bathroom is grouted in each corner , no silicone and also no cracks in the couple of years its been in(no shower in it, just a free standing bath)
Id like to know how many tilers don't fill em, id bet most on here do, but won't admit it ;)

O

Old Mod

I personally fill mine then silicone , i aint had one crack yet, my bathroom is grouted in each corner , no silicone and also no cracks in the couple of years its been in(no shower in it, just a free standing bath)
Id like to know how many tilers don't fill em, id bet most on here do, but won't admit it ;)
Ooow ooow sounds like a poll! Haha :D

C

cbmltd

I've always filled and sealed over with a really close matching color silicone wouldn't worry about it.:)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Nope, no way, as per OP I often get a small amount of grout in a joint, this gets cleaned out as best as possible.

Ok, well I do, and I've never seen it not done in 30 years apart from a few who say they do it on here.
It's no problem, if the wall moves so much as it cracks, you have more problems behind the tiling than the tiling , never seen it crack yet.
But each tradesman does it differently ,each to there own ;)

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Ok, well I do, and I've never seen it not done in 30 years apart from a few who say they do it on here.
It's no problem, if the wall moves so much as it cracks, you have more problems behind the tiling than the tiling , never seen it crack yet.
But each tradesman does it differently ,each to there own ;)

I've seen others do it and invariably I've seen it all crack, I tell site agents who insist on it coz 'it helps the mastic man' that it's bad practice, most listen.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We could go on forever alan
"Ive seen it crack"
"Ive never seen it crack"
"Ive seen it crack"
"Ive seen it crack"
"Ive seen it crack"
There alan, ive saved us a load of back and forthing :kissingheart:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
We could go on forever alan
"Ive seen it crack"
"Ive seen it crack"
"Ive seen it crack"
"Ive seen it crack"
There alan, ive saved us a load of back and forthing :kissingheart:

Looks like it's not only the grout that's cracking, have a cuppa mate :) yes, we all have stories.

Reply to Remove Grout From Internal Corners? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks