Search the forum,

Discuss Recommend a primer for tiling plastered / painted wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

siremastimus

I was looking to tile the area inbetween my worktop and kitchen units. It was plastered around a year ago and at the time had mist coats applied before a final coat of Dulux Soft Sheen - can this be tiled on top of as the upstand doesnt really allow for the extra depth backer boards would need? Tried the tape test and the paint stayed on the wall but I am guessing it would be best to use a primer still on the walls - if so can an expert out there recommend the best primer for this requirement? Thanks

PS Tiles are 400mm x 100mm x 7mm Ceramic if this matters,

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
take the corner of a paint scraper to it and see if it flakes off the wall. if not it is well adered. as its a splashback my personal opinion as its a "DIY" job i would use a tubbed addy from the likes of wickes or b&q......... i shall now await the pro tilers backlash.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
reason i would go tubbed is because it is acrylic dispersion and will stick more effectively to paint than it would to screed or plasterboard although i am open to correction. problem with paint i guess is its lack of porosity which would prevent to some extent the hydration products of cement embedding in the paints surface. generally paint (emulsion) is generally acrylic dispersed as well

Reply to Recommend a primer for tiling plastered / painted wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.