Search the forum,

Discuss Questions of all Questions... deflection ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

was wondering at wot point of a quotation you would determine there was to much bounce in a floor ? i mean how do i no if i need to quote for taken up floors etc ? is a tiny bit bounce acceptable ? as the addy is flexi ?or is there something you can put down on a floor with slight bounce instead of ripping up floors etc ? the reason iam asking is that ive been to price up a lot of floor jobs , but starting to wonder about how much bounce (if any ) is acceptable ? :8:

M

mikethetile

its difficult to explain, there is a bs standard on this but measuring deflection is difficult, I go to the middle of the floor and bounce on the balls of my feet if the if I can feel movement the floor has deflection, if I cant the floor has minimal deflection

the problem with tiling suspended wood floors is the joists are designed to deflect slightly to absorb shocks and noise and with a tiling system the floor needs to be rigid or cracks may appear across the floor, I have also seen the grout break up from the constant movement

its best to overboard anyway

W

White Room

I think the term Flexible adhesive and grout tend to give the wrong meaning to customers who have deflection on there floors.

Have seen a floor with bounce which was ditra'd and nicobond adhesive and grout was used, did'nt crack though

D

doug boardley

excellent question Terry:thumbsup:, I feel that if it's a marginal point and the customer really doesn't want the floor ripping up, I can do it with S2 flexi adhesive due to it's enhanced flex properties. This, as a two part adhesive, is more expensive than a S1 type adhesive though. I must stress though, I do recommend replacing floors that have any deflection.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
guess it depends what causes the deflection. Live Loading,\Dead Loading,\Soft body impact, hard body impact, creep etc etc.

Standard timber joists are designed I beleive to allow no more than L/300 where L is the length of the span and the result should be less than 12mm to meet NHBC standards. When we design timber floors to take Gyvlon Screeds in the soundbar system and other timber separating floors we allow for a design deflection of just 5mm. These are tiled regularly without any issues.

D

doug boardley

guess it depends what causes the deflection. Live Loading,\Dead Loading,\Soft body impact, hard body impact, creep etc etc.

Standard timber joists are designed I beleive to allow no more than L/300 where L is the length of the span and the result should be less than 12mm to meet NHBC standards. When we design timber floors to take Gyvlon Screeds in the soundbar system and other timber separating floors we allow for a design deflection of just 5mm. These are tiled regularly without any issues.
have we got an interpreter available please:lol:

Reply to Questions of all Questions... deflection ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen