Discuss Quarry floor, no damp course. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rookery

I would be wary. I've seen quarries in 19th century houses just laid to earth and I decline to quote. Too much risk for me.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Liquid DPMs are for suppression of residual moisture only not for rising damp as you will have in this issue. I would have thought Ditra or similar would be more appropriate as this allows the moisture to move around and migrate. I would have a conversation with Schluter. Under the quarries will be a weak lime screed mix that will fall to bits if you take up the quarries. that way lies trouble... been there done that

O

Old Mod

Liquid DPMs are for suppression of residual moisture only not for rising damp as you will have in this issue. I would have thought Ditra or similar would be more appropriate as this allows the moisture to move around and migrate. I would have a conversation with Schluter. Under the quarries will be a weak lime screed mix that will fall to bits if you take up the quarries. that way lies trouble... been there done that
Ahh!
Sorry Alan should of remembered you'd know!
Sounds like a safer route all round.

Andrew

TF
Reaction score
i would not apply a liquid DPM over these quarries, if the property is 200 years old a breathable system is a must, creatimg a moisture barrier will just force moisture into surrounding walls and cause all sorts of problems!
I did a project recently were we chose a porous limestone and fixed it with a French lime mortar product called hourdex and silver sand straight over the quarries, this maintained a moisture permeable floor problem solved!
Talk them out of porcelain and let the floor breathe as it has done happily for it's lifetime.

Reaction score
A while ago I had a similar thing with quarries and they wanted to go over the top with more quarries in a different size, I was recommended by Weber to use a good acrylic primer e.g. pr360 and to just use the standard grey weber set as it's breathable, but definitely not a flexi if that helps anyone for the future :)

Reply to Quarry floor, no damp course. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks