Search the forum,

Discuss Pre-emptive question on grout staining. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lmkitchens

Hello all! Been on this site for a while but not had any questions untill now! I am doing some work for a customer tiling with these tiles, Vision Wall and Floor Tiles - Ivory - 30x60cm - 5 Pack from Homebase.co.uk
. A comment on their site mentions having toruble removing grout, These tiles appear to be porcelain and a rough texture. There is no mention of requiring sealing etc. I had this same issue with the tiles I used in my bathroom which was my first time tiling and I simply didnt clean them down enough.

I dont want any issues so what do you guys reccommend? I planned to wash down really well but do you guys know of any tricks? I'm, using mapei keracolour in jasmine to grout.

Thanks in advance, Luke.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

You could use a coat of pre sealer to help with the clean down but If done correct it shouldnt be needed.

L

lmkitchens

I am still very much learning so I will look into this pre sealer. I havent seen a FAQ on cleaning grouting down on here so when you say properly what would you mean?

I would take the heavy off, clean water and wiper down again when powdered off, clean water same again, buff with dry cloth. Is this correct? What tiling I have done has mainly been glazed / polished so this hasnt been an issue.

S

sts1

All grouts leave a dusty residue after washing off, some makes can be dusted off hours or days later, this is not the case with Mapei grouts. I wash off grout, then when it's dry (a dusty covering) I wash again, when the area is around half way through drying, dust off, some times using damper areas to help get clean off drier areas. Mapei residue is very hard to remove at a later stage.
Hope this helps

D

DHTiling

This is down to polymers , if you leave grout long enough to set , then less clean downs are required.

Reply to Pre-emptive question on grout staining. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen