Search the forum,

Discuss Plasterboard on wood frame? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I have an artistic mosaic job to do, as a free hanging feature, fixed onto a plastered wall (in a barn conversion) with possibly sandstone behind.
The feature will be a combination of mosaic over a 3d inlaid casting plaster background. I would like to use plasterboard as substrate for economy, (though I have an open mind about it), but need to figure out fixings beforehand, won't be able to drill through the design afterwards and would like the fixing to be invisible anyhow. The artwork will will be 100cm square, and unframed, so will weigh a fair bit, over an interior restaurant entrance, dry conditions.

The only idea I have come up with so far is to make a wooden frame to be screwed behind the plasterboard before I even start, with strong metal hangers fixed to the wooden frame, so the restaurant owners can figure wall fixings out for themselves, (and be responsible for the safe fixing of it) but are there any better ideas?

Thanks for your time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

Ah, duh, just realised I can use MDF, sorted!!! Honourable Mods, you can delete this if you like, I'm happy...:hurray:

U

user123

Hi, TB :), good to see you! :smilewinkgrin:
Yes, I realized, MDF is no good either, not with the gypsum plaster, even with lots of keyneails etc... so back to plasterboard I think it is, but stuck on a thin sheet of ply to screw heavy duty fixings into, what do you think?

Hardibacker board...hm... why in your opinion would that be better? It's the safe hanging of it that worries me most...

D

doug boardley

I'd be going for a thick piece of ply Gisela, screws could pull out of mdf or backer board with all that weight (imo)

U

user123

Yes, Doug, but gypsum plaster does not stick to ply... that's why I thought stick the thinnish ply on the back of the plasterboard...just for the fixings... I am paranoid about the whole thing crashing down... or maybe the wooden frame behind, maybe 1" thick, wasn't such a bad idea??

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Yes, Doug, but gypsum plaster does not stick to ply... that's why I thought stick the thinnish ply on the back of the plasterboard...just for the fixings... I am paranoid about the whole thing crashing down...
Sorry Gisela, I misread your question. I thought you wanted a substrate to hang the finished piece onto as in a jig of some sort:thumbsup:

T

TilerBhoy

Hi, TB :), good to see you! :smilewinkgrin:
Yes, I realized, MDF is no good either, not with the gypsum plaster, even with lots of keyneails etc... so back to plasterboard I think it is, but stuck on a thin sheet of ply to screw heavy duty fixings into, what do you think?

Hardibacker board...hm... why in your opinion would that be better? It's the safe hanging of it that worries me most...

Ply is always likely to twist a little if it's not sufficiently braced.
Hardi Backer 500, the 12mm one, is sturdy enough to take a fixing and far more stable than ply or plasterboard.

It is heavy though.

U

user123

I know not easy to imagine...the image is is a farmhouse animal in front of simple hills no more than a silhouette. The idea was to make the hills and sky a textural plaster affair , with some glass baubles set in as flowers for some interest and light reflection, and have the mosaiced creature in the foreground, prominent of but in between the fields and the sky - does that make sense?

D

doug boardley

could you not cast a plaster slab Gisela with fixings through, and then fix the piece to the plaster slab? ps, is it the peahens piece?

Reply to Plasterboard on wood frame? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen