Discuss Plank tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

dboden

TF
Reaction score
Hi all.. I have some 1m plank tiles to lay, i just wondered how you do it.
as i understand they should be completely random.
ie, lay a row, then with the offcut go straight onto the next row, then keep going as that!

sounds right to me, just wanted it seconded.

D

Dougs Third Go

that's fine, I have my hallway and kitchen in planks, the hallway I did herring-bone, the kitchen just random. Personally I prefer the herring bone.

I

Ian

That's pretty much it mate. A friend of mine is an Amtico fitter and he always said to me to make sure your joints are no closer than 150mm, otherwise the rows will look too similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Watch out if the the tiles bow as well. There will be plenty of lippage over that length if they are bowed.

D

Dougs Third Go

good advice John, a half bond can be a nightmare, (as I found in my kitchen), the herring bone shows very little bowing lippage as it's only a quarter bonded

W

WetSaw

When I saw the thread title I thought it was a statement and expected to see a photo of me laying tiles....

S

Stef

I have seen a few photos put up of planks & the joins repeat themselves every 4 or 5 rows & I think it doesn't look right,
I would lay them as if I was laying a wooden floor & always start with the off cut so every join is staggered.

D

Daz

Here's some pics of the floor I did this week. Don't just take your off cut and start a new row as you may end up with a slither. It's best to keep checking your measurements and forward plan to get a nice even and manageable look, IMO.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

S

Stef

Daz, that's nice.
Obviously you have to make sure you don't end up with a daft cut at the finish of a row,
I've seen a few & they are too uniform for my liking, that's not to say they aren't right, I just prefer it done totally random like the way you have done.

Reply to Plank tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay