Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss passing on trade discount in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mikethetile

how many of you pass on the full trade discount on materials to your customers

I do on the basis that I charge enough for my time and the discount makes me more competitive on price and costs me nothing

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nope........if i supply materials i give them 15% off retail, 20% on larger jobs.

Last edited:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i used to give 15 percent and take the rest myself a few years ago,currently i give more than that to win the jobs and as yourself mike i charge what i would consider a higher labour rate than others might

the lure of getting possibly 400 pounds discount on there tiles usually helps win the day

I

Ian

dont understand that surely you only supply at discount if your fixing

Some people ask for supply only, so obviously I'll give them a bit of discount but not full whack. If I'm doing the fitting I don't make anything on the tiles supplied, do put a bit on addy and grout though.

M

mikethetile

Some people ask for supply only, so obviously I'll give them a bit of discount but not full whack. If I'm doing the fitting I don't make anything on the tiles supplied, do put a bit on addy and grout though.

I understand now Brian, yes I would charge retail if someone wanted supply only as I would want to cover my time

A

Aston

all depends on the job as deano said above..

domestics is different than commercials, so if i am using my own money and have to wait anything up to 8 weeks to be paid, then this has to be taken into account

domestic customers are different..i try to be as competative and fair in this economic climate as i can. if i can pass all the discount on without that impacting me , then thats my pleasure.. but if i have to do alot of running around or lay out a lot of money upfront, then that has to be taken into consideration, thats only right & fair..but i will always do my very best to give my customers the best possible discount i can and if i can give them all my discounts, i will..

customers are in a great position at the moment, they can pick and choose in this climate, so we have to look after them the best way we can or they'll soon go elsewhere !! you must maintain you quality and be flexible on your discounts imo

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stewart

Depends on the job, but only a select few get full discount as I get fantastic rates from my supplier.

M

mikethetile

Ed as usual you put it a lot better than I can, theres plenty of people happy to look after your customers if you dont

A

Aston

Ed as usual you put it a lot better than I can, theres plenty of people happy to look after your customers if you dont

your damn right there michael!! not the first bit of your quote lol, the bit about plenty of people will look after your customers if you dont.....

Reply to passing on trade discount in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks