Search the forum,

Discuss opus ramano. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dick turpin

You have to laugh, just been to see the job and its 4.5 m2 not 9 and there are 4 tiles sizes not 3......customer is always right......not. I did lay the tiles out to check them and found, as captian slow said that the pattern does indeed dictate the grout size, one concern is that this leaves a realy tight grout line 2mm at the most, is this right??? any thoughts chaps and chapesess. I did get the job will do it this weekend.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to laugh, just been to see the job and its 4.5 m2 not 9 and there are 4 tiles sizes not 3......customer is always right......not. I did lay the tiles out to check them and found, as captian slow said that the pattern does indeed dictate the grout size, one concern is that this leaves a realy tight grout line 2mm at the most, is this right??? any thoughts chaps and chapesess. I did get the job will do it this weekend.

I'd try to get a bigger joint if you can mate. 2mm is a bit tight for floors to be honest. Though if the tile isn't allowing you, and you're 100% on that, then you'll have to go with that.

D

dick turpin

I'd try to get a bigger joint if you can mate. 2mm is a bit tight for floors to be honest. Though if the tile isn't allowing you, and you're 100% on that, then you'll have to go with that.

This was my thought about 2mm on a floor, I did lay the tiles out and was pretty suprised to see the joint so tight, the customer wanted 8mm joint, he to was surprised when i showed him......if you open the joint out any more on the 2 smallest tiles this throws the whole pattern out, i know the chap is going back to the tile shop for addy and also to check this out with them. will see what they say,

whats the main issue with small grout lines in a floor, i presume its movement?? so this shouldnt be to much of an issue on a small floor. sure it will just make it a bit harder to lay as there will be no room for manover when laying the tiles.

D

DHTiling

You will prob end up with 3mm or more.. and that is fine.. sometimes you have to trim the small tile to fit in, just depends on the supplier.

But the tile sizes do govern the joint and you cannot open them up to 8mm etc as this will throw the lines all over the place.

B

BG Ceramics

I had a similar floor to lay recently. Once I had done about half the floor the customer came to have a look and wasn't happy with the tight 2mm joints. The tiles had a tumbled/rounded edge so once grouted it did look a bit more like an 8mm joint. Happy customer in the end.

D

Daz

Good luck DT. Are the tiles from "The Tile Place", I've done a few of their patterns and the grout lines will appear wider as long as you don't overly wash out the grout, and keep it nice and flush with the tile surface.

D

dick turpin

Good luck DT. Are the tiles from "The Tile Place", I've done a few of their patterns and the grout lines will appear wider as long as you don't overly wash out the grout, and keep it nice and flush with the tile surface.

good advice catian slow, will make sure i dont wash too much out. tiles were not from the tile place but from dry drayton. its not a big floor so it should be fine. cheers for advice.

Reply to opus ramano. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen