Search the forum,

Discuss opus ramano. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dick turpin

Hi all, I have a bathroom floor to lay in opus ramano, 9 mtrs. Whats the best way to set out and where in the room would you start laying??? cheers

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
how square are the walls. i would tend to lay it out dry not the full room , just keep checking how it looks how it drops in door way , just take your time . some tilers start in a corner if its square .are the walls all ready tiled

D

Daz

Okay, I'm not sure whether I can explain this well, but I'll have a crack so try and bear with me :lol:.

I would find the centre point of the room and use the x and y axis as my starting datums. Depending on the number of tile sizes you are using, I usually identify the smallest tile as this tends to be the grout line repeat value and helps avoid nasty cuts. You can then take your measurements with a tape or staff, whichever you prefer, to check that the pattern will work from your datums with no bad cuts. If you get bad cuts, then adjust your datums accordingly. Basically, it's no more difficult than setting out with a straight set or diamond pattern.

A lot of modular tile patterns are designed for a certain grout width so check that the pattern will work with your chosen joint width before getting yourself into difficulty.

I hope this makes sense and helps :thumbsup:
Good luck.

D

dick turpin

Yeah that helps cheers, surprisingly its all very square and nicely boarded out, customer has 3 sizes of tile, should be fun. will be my first job in a while will def get the setting out right,

D

DHTiling

Opus ramano( french pattern) is 4 sizes.. so you have 3 sizes.. you can random set or work to a pattern if they are supplied that way.. tends to be a repeat set of diagonal stagger....

This is an Opus ramano 4 size i did..

S

Spud

Opus ramano( french pattern) is 4 sizes.. so you have 3 sizes.. you can random set or work to a pattern if they are supplied that way.. tends to be a repeat set of diagonal stagger....

Nice floor

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score

You can see from this floor that there is a grout joint somewhere in the floor every 6 inches (I think this is the size of the smallest tile).So I set out the room using a 12" tile,marked in the centre.

D

DHTiling

Some more from the same floor..

It is a lovely pattern and i have loads in this same tile to do in the next few months..

I do have some pics somewhere of the 3 sizes, i will go look now..

D

diamondtiling

That reminds me, I have some pics of a job just like Daves from 3 weeks ago.
Will post in an album

:thumbsup:

D

dick turpin

Nice work Dave looks realy nice, if you do have some 3 tile pattern pics would be nice to look at those, of to look @ the job now will report later cheers all

D

dick turpin

You have to laugh, just been to see the job and its 4.5 m2 not 9 and there are 4 tiles sizes not 3......customer is always right......not. I did lay the tiles out to check them and found, as captian slow said that the pattern does indeed dictate the grout size, one concern is that this leaves a realy tight grout line 2mm at the most, is this right??? any thoughts chaps and chapesess. I did get the job will do it this weekend.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to laugh, just been to see the job and its 4.5 m2 not 9 and there are 4 tiles sizes not 3......customer is always right......not. I did lay the tiles out to check them and found, as captian slow said that the pattern does indeed dictate the grout size, one concern is that this leaves a realy tight grout line 2mm at the most, is this right??? any thoughts chaps and chapesess. I did get the job will do it this weekend.

I'd try to get a bigger joint if you can mate. 2mm is a bit tight for floors to be honest. Though if the tile isn't allowing you, and you're 100% on that, then you'll have to go with that.

D

dick turpin

I'd try to get a bigger joint if you can mate. 2mm is a bit tight for floors to be honest. Though if the tile isn't allowing you, and you're 100% on that, then you'll have to go with that.

This was my thought about 2mm on a floor, I did lay the tiles out and was pretty suprised to see the joint so tight, the customer wanted 8mm joint, he to was surprised when i showed him......if you open the joint out any more on the 2 smallest tiles this throws the whole pattern out, i know the chap is going back to the tile shop for addy and also to check this out with them. will see what they say,

whats the main issue with small grout lines in a floor, i presume its movement?? so this shouldnt be to much of an issue on a small floor. sure it will just make it a bit harder to lay as there will be no room for manover when laying the tiles.

D

DHTiling

You will prob end up with 3mm or more.. and that is fine.. sometimes you have to trim the small tile to fit in, just depends on the supplier.

But the tile sizes do govern the joint and you cannot open them up to 8mm etc as this will throw the lines all over the place.

B

BG Ceramics

I had a similar floor to lay recently. Once I had done about half the floor the customer came to have a look and wasn't happy with the tight 2mm joints. The tiles had a tumbled/rounded edge so once grouted it did look a bit more like an 8mm joint. Happy customer in the end.

Reply to opus ramano. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen