Search the forum,

Discuss opinions please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

reeves1985

Following on from the cutting porcelain tile thread
Which was successful using the good old plasplugs wet cutter for straight cuts and the grinder for the basin hole. I've been playing with some of cut of the tile
I'm looking for opinions on which looks best (I also have a silver leaf mix mosaic I can use also bit not handy to picture)
The white tile is the wall tile that's set I have them all
IMAG0186.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg

R

reeves1985

Thanks for the input

There is going to be a mirror I just wasn't sure where to put it I was going to add that after tiling and was thinking a bit higher up.

So you would use the upstanding then fix the mirror to the wall and tile around it?
My heads not working today it's been one of those days!

T

Time's Ran Out

No - I'd tile the side walls first, then get a mirror cut to the gap size thats left, that way you can silicone seal the edge and you won't see the thickness of the cut tile edge in the mirror.

R

reeves1985

No - I'd tile the side walls first, then get a mirror cut to the gap size thats left, that way you can silicone seal the edge and you won't see the thickness of the cut tile edge in the mirror.

Thanks I did mean that way didn't explain properly. It would look naff the other way

Wouly you put the mirror directly above the upstand with no gap?

Also how tall would you have a mirror there beating in mind the basin is around 800 off the floor (I think) could be wrong it's been a wretched day

T

Time's Ran Out

On the upstand with a spacer peg for expansion and silicone.
The height will be to the next full tile above head height or where you are comfortable with the view.

R

reeves1985

On the upstand with a spacer peg for expansion and silicone.
The height will be to the next full tile above head height or where you are comfortable with the view.

Thanks again it's starting to make sense now and I quite like the idea there was always going to be a mirror there but didn't quite know where

Final thing
I'm thinking a single cut mirror just like a piece of acrylic or glass
If the mirror is say 5mm thick and The tiles are 8mm 10mm ish with adhesive
Would you set the mirror so it was flush with the face of the first tile above? Or is there some other trade tricks

Q

Qwerty

You could use square edge tile trim on the tiled edges and have the mirror set back slightly or use the mosaic to separate the tiles from the mirror

C

Concrete guy

Get the mirror made at 6mm thick, get it foil backed then buy some mirror adhesive (comes in tubes like silicone).

Cut the mirror adhesive nozzle quite wide, give yourself a 10mm bead.

Squirt it on the wall, allowing gaps for air to evacuate, then gently press the mirror into position (I always used cardboard under the mirror sat on the tile as it was very forgiving) so it's flush with the tile surface.

Allow to set overnight.

Reply to opinions please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen