Search the forum,

Discuss opinions please. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rich83

While I'm waiting to get in with tiler,I thought I may as well look into doing my bathroom floor.its small but its a start.so while looking at it a couple of questions came up...I'll list them,so its easy to follow.
1. The floor is t'n'g chipboard.know I've gathered its ideal to remove this but as its run under the walls,I should screw it down to joists(currently its nailed,and squeeks),and then attach 6mm hardi(what I gather dural\shluter,won't be sufficient) with flexy adhesive, as well as screwing it into chipboard....is this right.and will Addy adhere to the board,as I believe its water resistant(to a degree),or will surface need roughing up.
2. Should I remove toilet and pedestal,as the shape of toilet at bottom is such that with board ,Addy and tile,it would in my opinion look weird.
3.this is what really stumps me 'on all but one wall the tiles sit on skirting,and if this isn't removed, it may look strange,but on the other hand,is it going to be possible to remove the skirting without breaking the wall tiles,as if I could remove the skirting ,as well as the bottom row of tile,then when floor is done, reattach the skirting, and cut in the previously removed tile.of course getting replacement wall tile would be handy.that way I could just tear off bottom row..
Hope you get the gist of my issues.and hope the pictures are helpful...cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20140326_170800124.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20140326_170929718.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20140326_170937999.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20140326_171012659.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20140326_171102680.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20140326_170843923.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 37
S

Stef

Rich I would remove the toilet & sink pedestal as I feel it leads to a far better looking job.
Prime the chipboard & comb the floor with a 6mm notch trowel,
Stick your Hardie to this & walk around to give it a good bond then screw down with 25mm turbo golds (ScrewFix)
Hardie state that the adhesive doesn't have to be flexi but I feel as your going onto wood your better with the flexi.
I would tile to the existing skirting also.

R

rich83

Excellent bit of info their stef cheers.skirting will be swallowed up but hay,its seriously tricky doing otherwise.

Reaction score
Or we could even remove the skirting and replace with floor tile upstand/skirting tile thingy..

But most of your questions I would expect you to be able to workout yourself - if we are a 'tiler', be it, old, new, learning etc...

R

rich83

I did think of using floor tile as skirt,I convinced myself I would break existing wall tile in removing skirting

I did pick up on slight sarcasm.yes some questions may seem obvious but no harm in checking

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

I did think of using floor tile as skirt,I convinced myself I would break tile in doing so

I did pick up on slight sarcasm.yes some questions may seem obvious but no harm in checking

We all have to learn somewhere!!

Reply to opinions please. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen