Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Newbie needs advice in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AlexP

Hi nice to meet you all!

I am in the process of setting up as a tiler and my first job is my mates kitchen floor. It is a rectangular room leading from a laminate floored hall and an open archway. 2 quick questions...

1. Is my setting out focal point the centre of the room itself or the centre of the archway?
2. What is the best trim or threshold for the cut tiles in the archway?

Thanks

R

Rich

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

First of all best of luck with the new business. Regarding the floor, its very hard to say without seeing the room as every room is different. Pics might help? My advise would be to spend some time setting out, try as many different ways as possible and see which would look better in that room.

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF, as Rich said, post a couple of pics if you can and this will give us a better idea of what you are looking at and enable us to advise.

A

AlexP

Thanks all, my mate is away on holiday at the mo so I will and post some pictures when he gets back

G

Gazzer

Setting out can be a compromise, There is no "must do" rule. Setting out from one focal point may mean small cuts in another focal point.
Try and make sure that small cuts are minimised or not there at all. Dont fall into the full tile from a corner trick !
As said above, we really need to see the layout of the room before giving opinions.

A

appletiler

hi
the centre of the room is your setting out point and doesnt have to be your focul point.the archway is unlikly to be inline with back door . i would concentrate on getting a good full tile or cut at threshhold of hall to kitchen and work your way out through back door.
there is a threshold bar cold tile to laminate, dont settle for any other as the hight diffrence may put pressure on tile edge. costs about £6 FOR BRASS.

Reply to Newbie needs advice in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks