Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brindle

How long...

Hi, I am nearly at the end of bathroom number 3 and am worried that I might be too slow to make a living out of it. I might be jumping the gun a little in being so inexperienced?
How long would you say it took you to build in confidence to tackle bathrooms accurately and quickly.
I have done 3 floors also 7/9/12 m2 which I did feel went smoothly and fairly quickly.
I am trying 100% to be as accurate as possible by the way!

Thanks

Brindle

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tiler tom

What you have to work out is how long it takes you to do a bathroom against how much you are paid and work out wether you are making a weekly living.
Say a 20 metre bathroom takes you 4 days and pays you 400 and you are happy with that then days 5&6 could be used for drumming up more work so you build regular work up. I have found most customers realise there is going to be disruption where tiling is involved and are more interested in a good job rather than somebody who throws them on the wall so if you maintain your accuracy your speed will build up. You must have noticed that by how long it took to do bathroom 3 compared to bathroom 1.
If you post how long it has taken the it would be easier to answer the question more fully.

B

Brindle

Thanks Tom. bathroom 2 was approx 20m2 floor to ceiling with border, plus the actual floor too.
It took me around 40 - 50 hours, but that was in fits and starts as easing into tiling from existing job.

Bathroom 3 is smaller but more fiddly. Suppose I just want to run before I can walk. I take your point about the level of disruptuion though and will bear that in mind on next job.
This Forum is a big help to me :)

B

Brindle

I'm growing in confidence and learning, so it's all good.

Next job......porcelain tiles on floor. The majority of the existing floor is covered in very well laid vinyl tiles. about a metre around the edge was old ceramic tiles, now pulled up, leaving iffy concrete, plus some bits of black c*ap (bitumen?)

Am I ok to self level over the concrete up to the edge of the vinyl. then next day prime it all and lay new over this surface using flexible cement based ad'? The vinyl tiles are very flat and solid.

Cheers

C

CLAYS TILES

Hi, I have to fix a line of glass tiles 50mm x 50mm as a horizontal strip between white ceramic tiles. Should I use a different adhesive or use the adhesive that I am using for the rest of the tiling. I am using BAL white star. Thanks

wow we must be doing the same job!
i have just started doing EXACTLY the same set-up!
spooky

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
hello folks it takes about 3 1/2 days to do a bathroom of in or around 30 to 40 sq meters charge about 350 to 400 pound dont price jobs by sq. meters as that does not take into account for rough floors/walls which can take up a fair amount of time to prepare. prefection always comes before speed and my customers know that hence the reason for not advertiseing in 4 years i have lost 2 jobs that i have priced. ps i wonder is that also because i am to cheap hhhmmm.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
can any one give me any work to get started did the course at north east tiling 05/nov/07 thank you

Hi there,
Im new in London. Do have experience in tiling though. Can you please advice of productive ways of geting jobs?

Cheers

I'd have a read through THESE topics and then go from there. If you're self-employed and want to advertise your services you can register on websites like www.findtrustedtradesmen.co.uk and get some cards in your local tile shop once your up to speed and standards etc.

Try doing a few friends and family jobs first to practice and then see if you feel ready to charge for it.

Tiling Jobs as such though are rare. You'd only really find contractors to pass you work and they'd usually want you to be self-employed.

Last edited:
P

plumbersmate

Hi there,
Im new in London. Do have experience in tiling though. Can you please advice of productive ways of geting jobs?

Cheers
contact, and team up with a plumber/plumbers, or advertise in local paper - small ad to start with (you don't want all your profit to disappear!) beware big glossy mags who pester you to advertise in their publication - the mags usually end up in obscure places where your potetial customers are unlikely to see, let alone read them.

B

Brindle

Kitchen sockets...

Hi folks,

Have just tiled a small kitchen with 3" porcelain tiles. on 2 double sockets they worked out to be one tile at the top edge where I couldn't insert an edge of tile, as there was no surface to affix to.
Is there any cures for this? I started with full tile from worktop, and central to cooker hood so was down to luck where they landed really

Cheers guys

D

DHTiling

I will do, cheers
----
hi, another query pls......

Granite tiles going on floor, I have fairly good knowledge re sealing etc, but what advice would you give on embarking on this one re cutting and best sealing processes? They're approx 400x400, dark colours.

Use a wet cutter for those cuts....

Use an impregnating sealer designed for that type of stone there are many makes about... i use the lithofin range...and i use a roller to apply it..the small radiator type rollers are good ( not the sponge ones )....
----
Hi

Just in the process of starting my own business and wondered if anyone has any recommendations of the best way to register for tax, and the best way to pay my wage from my business account to my personal account....

Also any recommendations on how to find an accountant would be more than helpful.

Many Thanks
John

hi john read this mate....
http://www.tilersforums.com/tilers-forums-arms/5630-basics-tax-system.html?highlight=tax

and as for the accountant bit then.

1. Build a Referral List: Find at least five accountants by contacting your financial planner, banker, insurance agent, & industry association. Talk with business owners in your industry that you do not compete with directly.
  2. List Contact: Call the five accountants on your list and ask to discuss their services. Find out the firm's size, their experience in your industry and educational background. Ask them to send information on their billing policies and fees.
  3. Select Three Best Candidates for Personal Meeting: Choose the accountants that responded promptly to your request and that had an understanding of your business and have fees within your budget.
  4. Final Interview: Find out if they will work directly on your account or if it is handled by an employee. Will they advise you on an audit, your ownership structure, and provide assistance with analysis of your financial statements?
  5. Final Selection: Base your selection on the best answers to your questions and the fact that they have other services to grow with your business or meet upcoming challenges. Are they approachable and professional enough for you?
Tips:
  1. An accountant should be more than a simple tax preparer. You need their advice and guidance in steering your business now and in the upcoming year.

D

DHTiling

Sorry Dave, could you tell me what a honed surface is, is it polished or somethink to do with the edge's. I know what a honed blade is for a chippys' plane but never heard it for a tile, Thanks

It is just that ...factory finishing the stone to a smooth finish. be it honed to a matt finish or honed and polished to a gloss finish....

It is the texture of the tiles surface...Smooth..

D

DHTiling

Hi dale..welcome mate....
Mix the grout up to a good texture..don't mix it too wet..grout then leave to set for a while....the trick is when washing off is to apply light pressure so as not to remove it from the joints....we use washboys and these cleaning tools leave a very neat finish....here is a pic of a tilers washboy....supplied by our forums tool sponsors...
rubi-69915r.jpg

wash the tiles once and leave the grout to set longer again before final clean up....hope this helps dale..good luck...

Reply to New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.