Search the forum,

Discuss Never seen that before!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Hi all,
doing a bathroom this week, nothing spectacular, white tiles, white trim. The walls are in a terrible condition so I have a bit of work to do on them before tiling. One wall has a grey coating on it that her boyfriend who is a IT consultant decided to put on over the weekend, It is covering a old flue for a brick chimney, The house is about 1860 or there abouts, anyway this grey coating is like sponge, it feels hard on the outside but is like foam/rubber in the middle, I could push a masonry nail through it with my finger, Does anyone know what it may be? She is saying that she was told it was the correct product to use, I want to take it all off and replace with green plasterboard, I do have the go ahead but would appreciate if anyone has come across this in the past?

Many thanks

Dominic.

:20::20::20:

L

LM Ceramics

good luck with that job sounds like you pulled in a cracker of a job i hate it when customers try to do you the prep work as a so called favour

D

diamondtiling

Hi Doug, really not sure, should that go hard even if mixed wrongly? It is over bits of plasterboard and about 40mm in thickness, It is as soft as butter.
She gives me a lot of work and wants me to rectify it for her but the boyfriend is a "whats up with it, cant you just tile over it?" sort of bloke, thats not going to happen as I would be back in 2 months to pick the tiles up off the floor, just curious as to what it is.

:20::20:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ask her to get the exact name of the product her boyfriend put on the wall.if it was only a few days ago it shouldnt be hard to find out surely mate

D

diamondtiling

She would ask him if he was speaking to her, he is in the corner sulking because I have ripped it out

D

diamondtiling

Think its all down the tip now Doug, the reason why I was asking is because she mentioned its covering an old flue, I was just concerned that There may be a specified product for that situation, the kitchen originally would have had a range for cooking, although its now longer there now the flue goes up and into the new bathroom and emerges out of the roof into a chimney, When I remove the plasterboard that said boyfriend has put in and covered with whatever it is there will be a hole into a void, I am going to either put some bricks in or batten it out and plasterboard over, if I do this would a vent be sufficent?

D

doug boardley

Think its all down the tip now Doug, the reason why I was asking is because she mentioned its covering an old flue, I was just concerned that There may be a specified product for that situation, the kitchen originally would have had a range for cooking, although its now longer there now the flue goes up and into the new bathroom and emerges out of the roof into a chimney, When I remove the plasterboard that said boyfriend has put in and covered with whatever it is there will be a hole into a void, I am going to either put some bricks in or batten it out and plasterboard over, if I do this would a vent be sufficent?
it won't be unskimmed bonding will it Dom? as for venting it, is there a vent at the bottom, where range was, and is chimney uncapped? I must say tho' that studding out and reboarding sounds a sensible option imo:thumbsup:

P

peckers

Sounds a bit like Tilcon renevating plaster, I use to use it years ago, its similiar to Thistle carlite bonding / hardwall, which is an undercoat plaster applied before you put on the fanal skim coat, If my memory serves me right Tilcon was bought out by someone else and the name has changed now. But like under coat plasters it is not advisable to tile directly onto.
But i could be wroung but your description of it does sound like it.
Does the customer not remember what it is called?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tilcon was taken over by Tarmac Peckers - about 10 years ago now.
The grey stuff could have been a lytag render. They are occasionally used (Not seen one for several years though) but Lytag sand has a low thermal conductivity and so can offer extra insulation to the chimney. They lok a bit like an aero bar when you break them open.

D

diamondtiling

Tilcon was taken over by Tarmac Peckers - about 10 years ago now.
The grey stuff could have been a lytag render. They are occasionally used (Not seen one for several years though) but Lytag sand has a low thermal conductivity and so can offer extra insulation to the chimney. They lok a bit like an aero bar when you break them open.

that is a good description of it, anyway its all gone now, plasterboard in place and nice shiny tiles covering up my good workmanship skills

:hurray::hurray:

Reaction score
you know what you must do....rip it off and reboard....then you will know what your tiling onto..
oops missed the last post....

Last edited:

Reply to Never seen that before!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen