Discuss Mitre External Corners in Porcelain Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

You can use grout, but you really have to wait till its just about gone hard before cleaning and shaping it. Depending on the grout and til, e it may need to be left an hour or more

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not that it's a secret.

It's a skill each tiler will have learned and can't really be explained. Each of their own jobs would be tackled slightly different due to tile changes and temperatures of rooms (affecting grout mixes etc).

You're attempting one area of tiling that even most tilers will avoid like the plague.

It really is an art.

And no amount of bribing with info will get you clear answers lol bless

These lads on here share their skills every day they're not afraid to. But it's just one of those masterclass type skills they have learned over years. It can't be explained in a thread.

I think anyway.

Reaction score
You can use grout, but you really have to wait till its just about gone hard before cleaning and shaping it. Depending on the grout and til, e it may need to be left an hour or more

Thanks Julian! Bit like manually formed render/plaster corners then which I have experience with. All about timing.

If there's a fair amount to do, do you think it could be more time-efficient to slightly overfill the joins, let set overnight and then rub back with diamond pads the next day? Or is not easy to bring them back after they've gone
[automerge]1570465475[/automerge]
It's not that it's a secret.

It's a skill each tiler will have learned and can't really be explained. Each of their own jobs would be tackled slightly different due to tile changes and temperatures of rooms (affecting grout mixes etc).

You're attempting one area of tiling that even most tilers will avoid like the plague.

It really is an art.

And no amount of bribing with info will get you clear answers lol bless

These lads on here share their skills every day they're not afraid to. But it's just one of those masterclass type skills they have learned over years. It can't be explained in a thread.

I think anyway.

It's not the technique I was after, just a couple of product recommendations, that was all!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Julian! Bit like manually formed render/plaster corners then which I have experience with. All about timing.

If there's a fair amount to do, do you think it could be more time-efficient to slightly overfill the joins, let set overnight and then rub back with diamond pads the next day? Or is not easy to bring them back after they've gone
[automerge]1570465475[/automerge]

It's not the technique I was after, just a couple of product recommendations, that was all!
Fair enough. :)

It's just grout. Whatever grout you are using. But it needs to be stiffer. And that doesn't mean mix less water (grout cures with chemical reaction and needs wafer to become stiffer) if means wait a bit until it is curing kinda thing.

It's not something I would attempt at all.

Pics will win you a forum hat on this one I think. :)

O

Old Mod

One done right obviously wouldn't be sharp. :)

It’s actually country dependent, most of Europe and the states prefer an ‘arris, but not the uk, oh no, they want a bloody round.
I’ll start with a round, if it goes Pete Tong, they get an ‘arris! 🤣🤣

O

Old Mod

Wow. Have got the mitringitself down but filling a mitred corner really is a dark art, can't get the full answer anywhere. Have asked myself before and seen many other posts where the question is half-answered.

The reason you believe the question is only half answered, is because there isn’t a definitive answer!
Can you imagine how many resins there are in the market place.
Ask 10 marble companies what resin they use and you’ll get 15 different answers!!
There’s many variables that determine what to use.
Full epoxy, polyester, environmental, colour, experience, cost, application, personal preference, working time, U.V. tolerant.
That’s why you get half answers.
And believe me, it costs a small fortune to experiment with all those variables.
It’s nothing personal, it’s just an almost impossible question to answer.

Reaction score
This video may be of some use to you @cornsack, equally it may not but it made me think of this thread.

Thanks Tony! Love watching any master of their craft.

I have a little experience from free-handing corners with plaster and even lime renders the old-fashioned way. That is a skill let me tell you, I'm certainly not the best at it but looking at the associated techniques maybe I'm worrying all in vain!

O

Old Mod

Thanks Tony! Love watching any master of their craft.

I have a little experience from free-handing corners with plaster and even lime renders the old-fashioned way. That is a skill let me tell you, I'm certainly not the best at it but looking at the associated techniques maybe I'm worrying all in vain!
Did you find the colour you needed from the waters group?

Reaction score
Did you find the colour you needed from the waters group?

Thanks for input everyone.

Think I am going to use my white grout on this occasion. Seems adequate for this particular situation I think and I also need to make a start sooner than I could get anything delivered. Might pursue resins for future projects though.

Some of the techniques look similar to that I have used to form corners by hand on plaster, render, etc. so I am hoping that will give me half a chance. Who knows, might be easier :p

H

hmtiling

Thanks for input everyone.

Think I am going to use my white grout on this occasion. Seems adequate for this particular situation I think and I also need to make a start sooner than I could get anything delivered. Might pursue resins for future projects though.

Some of the techniques look similar to that I have used to form corners by hand on plaster, render, etc. so I am hoping that will give me half a chance. Who knows, might be easier :p
Can we see some before and after pictures?

Reply to Mitre External Corners in Porcelain Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks