Discuss Mitre External Corners in Porcelain Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Looking to do a few mitred external corners this week (600x300x9 porcelain). Practiced the cuts a few times and very happy with that. Never filled the corners though.

Seen some resin recommendations but most of them are looking difficult to source. The only viable option I can see is Akemi PolySoft from Apex Grange but its £15 delivery if I want it in time and I don't need anything else from them. Would still purchase if the experts think this is the only way to go?

Why is silicone generally not used? Is it simply because of the finish and difficulty shaping (it can't be rubbed down). Are so-called 'flexible' grouts really not flexible/strong enough to use in an ordinary bathroom scenario?

@GaryTheTiler @3_fall @LEE MAC seem to be the mitre-pros. Sorry if not noticed anyone else!

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it or not, I have two videos in my albums that may help you.
Good luck.
Look at titles, they’re listed back to front. 🤷🏻‍♂️😊

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Not sure if I’ve mentioned it or not, I have two videos in my albums that may help you.
Good luck.
Look at titles, they’re listed back to front. 🤷🏻‍♂️😊
Where do I find your albums?
(Admin edit: Mitre External Corners - Video Album Discussion - where the hell are those videos? :D - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/mitre-external-corners-video-album-discussion-where-the-hell-are-those-videos-d.90029/ - Moved album discussion to a thread of its own, the thread contains a link to @3_fall's album - for those who find this thread in the future :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

As mentioned in my original post, I'm confident making cuts. Just looking for advice on what to fill the corners with

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

As mentioned in my original post, I'm confident making cuts. Just looking for advice on what to fill the corners with
Spot on.

Let's bring this thread back to help the OP peeps. :D

My bad there too, we've robbed his thread. :D
[automerge]1570453107[/automerge]
I've peeled away discussion on albums: Mitre External Corners - Video Album Discussion - where the hell are those videos? :D - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/mitre-external-corners-video-album-discussion-where-the-hell-are-those-videos-d.90029/

Apologies for robbing your thread there @cornsack lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Half height. I'd consider a trim maybe. Naked bodies and mitres aren't wise when somebody is awesome at them. Let alone first-time-mitres.

You got any spare tiles to practice on maybe, if the mitres are a sure thing and have to be done, at least give them a really good bash on some off-cuts first. Get the hang of it?

I've never done them. And I don't think I'd like to. Kinda for the same concerns you guys have. I'd hate think I've jabbed somebody with my sharp mitre.

O

Old Mod

I'd hate think I've jabbed somebody with my sharp mitre.
They don’t need to be sharp mate, depends how they’re finished.
[automerge]1570460463[/automerge]
Small bathroom. There are a 4 external wall corners, tiles will be half-height except in the shower enclosure

Have a look at the Schluter website, they have Finec mitre trim.
You still need to mitre the tiles but the quality of mitre required is much more forgiving.
They leave a small rounded edge on the corner and come in about a dozen colours and to suit tiles 3.5-12mm thick.
A great way to get in to mitred corners.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They don’t need to be sharp mate, depends how they’re finished.
[automerge]1570460463[/automerge]

Have a look at the Schluter website, they have Finec mitre trim.
You still need to mitre the tiles but the quality of mitre required is much more forgiving.
They leave a small rounded edge on the corner and come in about a dozen colours and to suit tiles 3.5-12mm thick.
A great way to get in to mitred corners.
I know mate I just meant if they're the first I attempted, I would be worried that they might end up being. The same as somebody else said further up the thread.

One done right obviously wouldn't be sharp. :)

Reaction score
Wow. Have got the mitringitself down but filling a mitred corner really is a dark art, can't get the full answer anywhere. Have asked myself before and seen many other posts where the question is half-answered. I have many great time-served plastering (and other trade) secrets I could exchange. Hell I would pay someone for solid answer at this point.

- Are so-called 'flexible' grouts really not flexible/strong enough to use in an ordinary bathroom scenario? I would imagine they could be rubbed down to a perfect shape once dry.

-Are there not any easy to purchase coloured-resins one would use as standard?

Reply to Mitre External Corners in Porcelain Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks