Search the forum,

Discuss leaking paving slabs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

Hi

Water leaks through paving slabs into the walls of a paddling pool and seeps out through the sand under the slabs which caused the old tiles to come loose along the top. The pointing has come loose and previously someone has tried using silicone to seal the paving and edging slabs but thats now loose. Will completely repointing/grouting everything properly do the trick? There are also Sealers you can get for paving. Theres no drainage system around the pool.
I dont particularly want to remove the edging slabs and re-lay the lot as it'll wreck the tiling we've just done, but it could be the case but I dont know much about paving (if anything). Perhaps I should get someone in who does.
Anyone else come across a similar job?

All this shouldve been sorted before any tiling took place but thats councils for you i suppose.

cheers
missT

U

user123

Hi! Strikes me as a similar situation to one of my earlier houses built into a hill - without drainage system around it there is no way of holding back the water, unless the pool itself was set in a waterproof barrier, which doesn't sound likely. You don't say if the pool is privately or council owned, but one or the other has to be done IMO, I don't see any other way around it. To try and repoint, regrout, seal from the 'symptomatic' side sounds a very temporary solution at best. Urrgh, a messy situation - good luck..

D

doug boardley

is it a municipal type paddling pool missy (not that it makes much difference, just trying to get a mental picture!) and does everything,surface rain water etc run into the pool. Do the paving slabs overhang the pool? if I'm picturing it right I would say re-pointing the paving should be worth a try first, would also re-bed any slabs that are "rocking"

M

MTiler

is it a municipal type paddling pool missy (not that it makes much difference, just trying to get a mental picture!) and does everything,surface rain water etc run into the pool. Do the paving slabs overhang the pool? if I'm picturing it right I would say re-pointing the paving should be worth a try first, would also re-bed any slabs that are "rocking"

I mention at end its a council job. The edging slabs overhang the pool edge but water collects on top but because the jointing is loose its getting in that way and seeps out through the wall and eventually effecting the tiles.
I was of the same opinion as you and to repoint first. To be honest the whole pool area needs to be totally refurbished. He's a pic of the worst affected slabs.

Attachments

• finished pool 016.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 13

Reply to leaking paving slabs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen