Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Large Kitchen with Electric UFH - 2 Quotes - Advice Please? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Ditto!!
Single cable system better than mat anyway, more versatile and no sticky up mats haha

Really?? Your using the wrong mats.
Find a matt that sticks to any subfloor (its sticky) and you will have no problems whatsoever.
Not a fan of loose cable.

back on topic, quote 2 all the way.

O

Old Mod

Really?? Your using the wrong mats.
Find a matt that sticks to any subfloor (its sticky) and you will have no problems whatsoever.
Not a fan of loose cable.

No, I make u right Lee!
Is that a name of a mat in your post? Sorry I'm not quite sure.

But Thing is, it's very rare I either get to supply/advise on a particular mat, let alone fit it!
But i do prefer single cable because it is a bit more versatile and has a lower profile generally.

G

Gazzer

Both have their uses. I think the mat version has more issues for some as the matting itself tends to float if not installed correctly. The mats can be a pain in smaller areas.
Wires take a little longer but are more versatile but not really recommended for large areas.....again its down to what the installer prefers :thumbsup:

T

The D

Both have their uses. I think the mat version has more issues for some as the matting itself tends to float if not installed correctly. The mats can be a pain in smaller areas.
Wires take a little longer but are more versatile but not really recommended for large areas.....again its down to what the installer prefers :thumbsup:
so if the mat floats its not istalied correctly?? can you tell me how to insall it correctly so the mat will not float.

G

Gazzer

so if the mat floats its not istalied correctly?? can you tell me how to insall it correctly so the mat will not float.

Everyone has their own method. Mine is to use a 4mm trowel with rapid set SPF adhesive. Spread the area where the mat is being laid, push mat into that adhesive. After addy has set then using slc is easy.
Obviously sometimes the mat will stick to the floor with its own sticky back glue, if this is the case then fine but I find that when you pour SLC on it breaks that bond.
I dont like seeing people tape the mats down, a lot of the time it seems to be far too much gaffa tape....and then all the adhesive or SLC is sticky to is that tape.

O

Old Mod

I dont like seeing people tape the mats down, a lot of the time it seems to be far too much gaffa tape....and then all the adhesive or SLC is sticky to is that tape.
Hurray that man!!
I tried explaining that to a spark only other month (gently of course!) when he literally covered half the floor with 50mm gaffs tape! To hold down single wire system. He maintained that they did t provide enough tape with kit! He said "they put in enough for one quarter of the cable!" In actual fact what he'd done, as u've probably already worked out, is completely covered cable with the tape instead of laying it perpendicular to it! :6: He wasn't really interested in what I had to say, (yeah I know, strange eh! Haha) because he'd been fitting UFH for 10yrs and knew what he was talking about! Fortunately for me it wasn't the floor I had to tile!

G

Gazzer

My dad, (RIP) used to say that its one thing being clever but he would rather have common sense. I prefer to use common sense and unless someone can prove that the tape method is the best way then I will carry on my way.
Actually at Mapei HQ they had a UFH company demonstrate their system and when I questioned why they had used so much tape, they didnt seem bothered !

O

Old Mod

My dad, (RIP) used to say that its one thing being clever but he would rather have common sense. I prefer to use common sense and unless someone can prove that the tape method is the best way then I will carry on my way.
Actually at Mapei HQ they had a UFH company demonstrate their system and when I questioned why they had used so much tape, they didnt seem bothered !
just out for sales eh!

Reaction score
Like i say, a decent mat will stick to your chosen subfloor, backer board ect ect and wont dovetail, its why we got it designed like that.

i went on a weber training course a few years back, took several fixers who were using an UFH matt that we sold at the time, it had a fabric backing to soak which was meant to work better with the adhesive, never thought we had a problem until i put it down then started floorflexing all over it.......it just dovetailed everywhere......
so when i got back i simple asked if it was possible to produce a matt that was so sticky it would stick to most subfloors, when it came i showed it our warehouse floor, dusty, not ideal......but it stuck.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Unless the floors really really bad, id spread addy, insulation boards, matt, SLC then tile.
I find it saves time, if it was floorboards, solid but uneven would you SLC over the boards then addy then thermal boards or would you spread addy lay boards and screw down ?
The floor would have to be like the sea on a windy day for me to SLC over it ,even then you could get it flat with just addy and boards, seems a waste of a day to me

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Ive neverfound an SLC that will bond to gaffa/duct tape. Another reason I use loosewire (especially Warmups) is the doublesided tape and scrim tape is a brilliant method.

One thing I have to mention 3_fall is some older and current loose wire systems used to fixed with a conductive tape along the whole wire. Some of the older warmup ones used to installed this way.
Still don't think SLC or addy bonded to it though!

Reply to Large Kitchen with Electric UFH - 2 Quotes - Advice Please? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks