Search the forum,

Discuss Jakoboard thicknesses in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Well interestingly or not, judging by the number of responses I got to the initial post, went to a trade night and spoke to the local rep who supplies the stuff and couldn't get a direct answer and was referred to their literature to make my own decision!

An experienced tiler who works closely with a tile manufacturer and the technical rep from an adhesive company both said that they would use flooring grade chipboard a decoupling mat and tile as normal and for my purposes it would be fine, in the case of a wetroom they recommended tanking the floor/walls as usual.

Hope this is of use to someone else who may be considering it, as others have said the principle of using cement boards as a flooring directly sounds good, but seems not to be a common method and I am not sure why?

W

Waluigi

This has been brought up recently. I’m all for trying new methods but I still don’t fully trust a cement board directly onto joists and then tiled straight on top. I await for my concerns to be dismissed.

Perhaps some feedback from NMP, Knauf or even Hardiebacker as to why their board (HB) is no longer sold in the UK.

Years ago I remember speaking to Bal technical as I was faced with tiling a 25mm ply floor ( the good old ply days) and Bal said it still needs over boarding or an elastomeric adhesive should be used (fastflex)

H

hmtiling

This has been brought up recently. I’m all for trying new methods but I still don’t fully trust a cement board directly onto joists and then tiled straight on top. I await for my concerns to be dismissed.

Perhaps some feedback from NMP, Knauf or even Hardiebacker as to why their board (HB) is no longer sold in the UK.

Years ago I remember speaking to Bal technical as I was faced with tiling a 25mm ply floor ( the good old ply days) and Bal said it still needs over boarding or an elastomeric adhesive should be used (fastflex)
I was told by hardie they no longer sell the 22mm here because it is produced in Australia and demand isn't high enough to make it economical

B

Blunt Tool

I’ve done a kitchen floor 600x600x10mm porcelain tiles approx 24 square metres the Gifa boards were installed onto joists with extra noggins even tho it was T&G. The kitchen was installed bar the island, joints fibre taped and filled with fast set flexi. Primed, tiles installed and grouted. That was 3 years ago I think and I’ve been back twice to do a bathroom and en suite. The kitchen floor is still as good as the day it was installed and would recommend to any customer who was going to start from scratch. Trust it more than all the layers needed usually and keeps height uniformed thru house

W

Waluigi

I suppose once you weigh it all up- the ply, the overboarding, the labour etc vs the thick cement boards, I don’t think the cost would be all that different.

No membrane on top of the Gifa though?

B

Blunt Tool

Think if it had been 24 metres of stone I would have put Mapei wp200 mat down, normal size bathroom stone right onto Gifa yes.

W

Waluigi

Sounds sensible. Yes I agree about the stone. Porc doesn’t seem like it needs it but I suppose you can never be too careful.

B

Blunt Tool

All stone have natural holes, fissures/cracks, some parts of their composite is very hard other parts very deceiving and brittle, no two the same. That’s why a thin crack mat just gives that extra protection over a long stretch of floor. It’s more to give the stone a bit of relief, let it breathe

Reply to Jakoboard thicknesses in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen