Discuss is there a sealant I can use over a flexi floor grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stan001

I installed a kitchen floor using Pilkington fully vitrified beige coloured tile over underfloor heated (wet pipes under concrete skim – not an electronic mat), it works and looks very well. Here’s the issue. We used Nicobond beige coloured grout with the chemical flex adder (as recommended by N&P and used in the correct ratio) to give us the flexibility of the grout (as required due to the underfloor heating) but also to add some form of splash protection. My issue (it’s not a problem but its annoying) is that the grout really shows up any wet splashes in the form of darkening of the colour to a deep brown, which takes up to half a day to dry out back to the beige colour again. This obviously indicates that the grout is absorbing moisture (which I guess is a bit unavoidable with a flexi grout), but I’m also not happy with the general hardness of the grout. You can dig your finger nail if you dig really hard, this is impossible to do using their standard gray without the flex addy (the colour grouts from Nicobond do not come standard with the flex, their grey and white do).
My question – is there a sealing chemical available that I can run over the grout to help prevent these temporary damp patches? (I can live with the slight lack of hardness , that’s not a big issue, I have to really attack it a bit to scrape grout out, normal wear and tear wont touch it, and I pegged it all under the surface quite well). My priority is chemical resistance especially as I want to seal the grout against greasy things like food, cheese, oils, butter etc. because if they got on there it might be a remove and replace action if we want to maintain that continuous flood of colour look we managed to achieve.
Cheers guys. Stan
(think I will try Mapei next time for my coloured grouts, seem to get good ratings here, and I use their adhesive anyway)

T

TheWrightTiler

mapei do a silicon which matches all there grouts by colour

if this grout can be dug out with a fingernail personally id regrout using mapei, never used nicobond tbh

andy

ps theres a grout sealer called sealguard which is aersosol based and seals the grout

S

Stan001

mapei do a silicon which matches all there grouts by colour

if this grout can be dug out with a fingernail personally id regrout using mapei, never used nicobond tbh

andy

ps theres a grout sealer called sealguard which is aersosol based and seals the grout

thx for the fast reply, the grout isnt as soft as it probably appears in my mail, just me being very picky i think (but i would like it as hard as the grey i use) - but i will consider your suggestion. many thanks for the info ref sealguard, i will check it out, cheers, Stan

Reaction score
Ltp, imo the best sealer around, i think sealguard is about £26, and ltp is
£19ish so save yourself money and get a better sealer.:thumbsup:

Reply to is there a sealant I can use over a flexi floor grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay