Search the forum,

Discuss How to treat these walls? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Don't use polyfilla, get yourself some easi-fil used for tape jointing for any face filling, easy to sand and gives a great finish.

C

Colour Republic

Without a doubt i'd be skimming those walls.

Kitchens are one of if not the most expensive part of any home and seeing as you have completely stripped it out you are in the best position to be re-plastering.

It will be far cheaper and less hassle sorting out the walls now than at a later date once everything has been re-fitted. It will give you the best surface to be working from. Trying to do it at a later date will take 3 times as long, cost you much more and wouldn't be as good a finish than if done now.

At a rough guess to the size of the room you are looking at maybe £350-400 to get the walls and ceiling skimmed including materials.

W

White Room

The main thing is where the work tops which are up against the walls are flat....

C

champ222

Ive contacted someone i know for a quote, however, it is extremely unlikely that it will be within budget at the moment.

If skimming is not an option.

how should i fix the tiles onto the damaged plasterboard? please could you recommend me a primer and adhesive suitable?

Thanks

I

IHB

Why not skim it yourself? Doesn't need to be perfect where the tiles and cupboards will cover it and any imperfections in bits that will be painted can be fixed with filler & sandpaper.

C

champ222

Hi. I had planned on having a go at a few of the really bad bits, like the window sill, but tackling the whole room is a bit much for me to be honest.time is against me here too as having the kitchen in the living room and no cooker is a right pain, and if I start trying to skim the walls etc, it'll just add to the time. I'd rather pay for it to be done... Just not now. I'm down to my last few quid and its only the 7th of the month.

R

rubi man

if its only being part tiled then id go for a plasterer to totally reskim the room so you have clean sharp smooth walls whats the point part tiling then that looking all good then the walls looking bad??? makes no sense

I

IHB

You'd do it in a day for the price of a bag of plaster. Wait for it to dry though before you try and paint it or stick tiles to it.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
You'd do it in a day for the price of a bag of plaster. Wait for it to dry though before you try and paint it or stick tiles to it.

Seriously? I remember my 1st, and only, attempt at plastering. Got great coverage on the floor... :)

Reply to How to treat these walls? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen