Discuss How to treat these walls? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

champ222

Hi guys

I am renovating the kitchen currently, and having stripped out the old kitchen i am left with these walls.

There was a little bit of damp plasterboard behind the sink, and ive pulled the damp bits of wall away and whats left seems pretty solid, with exception of the window sill.

The original kitchen had a fairly large tiled area and the tiles went up either side of the window frame too.

I would like to fit new tiles, just a strip of a few tiles high, above the worktop, but i would be tiling on the brown plasterboard damaged surface for part of the room. (the other walls arent damaged like this). The tiles are 200x250x6mm ceramics, and i would like to smooth and paint the rest.

How would you approach this?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0474.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0476.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0477.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0478.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
A good tiler will get over that no problem

:sofahide:

Sorry, just my impression of a builder!

As above, get it bonded and skimmed.
No doubt you would be wanting the rest of the walls skimmed anyway, if you're doing a full new kitchen

C

champ222

hi

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure there is the budget for skimming the whole kitchen... Is it possible to tile onto the brown parts of the wall as shown in the pictures? Is there a primer that would make this possible?

Its my first house, and to be honest, everything needs doing. Every room, every carpet, new kitchen, new bathroom, new central heating, gardening work... etc, you get the picture.

Just got to do the whole house on the cheap this time, to make it liveable, then next time around, when we are re-decorating just one room at a time, we can have the wall skimmed etc and do it all properly.

Now, when i say "on the cheap" i mean that i'm ok with the walls looking a bit rough, and the ceilings looking a bit rough, and the doors looking dated etc, but it has to be safe, and the tiling has to be done so its done properly (ie properly adheared to the surface) even if its done by me and looks a bit rubbish.

Is this possible? or is bonding and skimming the only option here?

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The walls look very dusty? Covered in distemper? If so, give a good brush off, then prime with an acrylic primer. Then tile using a powdered flexi adhesive.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
The tiling isn't an issue, to be honest, But you said you only wanted a small amount of tiling, and you want to paint be rest.... You can't paint those walls as they are.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The tiling isn't an issue, to be honest, But you said you only wanted a small amount of tiling, and you want to paint be rest.... You can't paint those walls as they are.

Thick lining paper...........1/2" thick. :smilewinkgrin:

Reaction score
Its hard to say without not knowing exactly where you're tiling, where you're painting and where you're units finish etc

Get a plasterer in for a look, you might be surprised, if its a day job it might be within budget

C

champ222

the two walls which are the brown rough finish will be pretty much covered up with cupboards, cooker hood, fridge freezer and the tile splashback (although the tiles will go all the way around the kitchen) the other two walls, while a bit rustic lookings, should be ok with a bit of paint and polyfilla.

so if i can tile ok on the brown bits of damaged plasterboard (with an appropriate primer??) , fix the big holes in the wall/windowsill with something i can tile on straight away (multi-finish? plaster repair?) and prime the rest of the wall with something that means it will accept paint, then i'll be happy, the kitchen can be useable, which means my wife will be happy.

we havent had a cooker now for two months.

W

White Room

Don't use polyfilla, get yourself some easi-fil used for tape jointing for any face filling, easy to sand and gives a great finish.

C

Colour Republic

Without a doubt i'd be skimming those walls.

Kitchens are one of if not the most expensive part of any home and seeing as you have completely stripped it out you are in the best position to be re-plastering.

It will be far cheaper and less hassle sorting out the walls now than at a later date once everything has been re-fitted. It will give you the best surface to be working from. Trying to do it at a later date will take 3 times as long, cost you much more and wouldn't be as good a finish than if done now.

At a rough guess to the size of the room you are looking at maybe £350-400 to get the walls and ceiling skimmed including materials.

W

White Room

The main thing is where the work tops which are up against the walls are flat....

C

champ222

Ive contacted someone i know for a quote, however, it is extremely unlikely that it will be within budget at the moment.

If skimming is not an option.

how should i fix the tiles onto the damaged plasterboard? please could you recommend me a primer and adhesive suitable?

Thanks

Reply to How to treat these walls? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22