Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How to cut fixed porcelain tiles up to door frame? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chris.hughes23

I'm not a tiler. Hope that's OK! We had a new kitchen, and the builder laid the porcelain tiles. After he'd finished (and we'd paid him), we saw the line by the living room door wasn't straight. He apologised, and offered to cut it straight with an angle grinder, but he can't get to the edges with it. He can't take the tiles near the door up and re-lay them because there aren't enough tiles left if he breaks any adjoining tiles (it was an end of line), and because there's electric underfloor heating near the edge. He says he'll borrow an oscillating multitool to do the edges. But as far as I can see, they won't cut porcelain tiles. Apart from leaving it as it is or getting him to take the lot up and relay it, is there any solution?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I wouldn't be going anywhere near it with a grinder if you have ufh mat, is the doorway out of square with the rest of the room..?

T

tweakyboy

What do the tiles adjoin to? If its carpet could you cover it with a wide door strip?

Reaction score
As above pic's please. Good to hear a builder excelling at tiling as per... But I'm sure it probably is do-able, with a grinder or a multi-tool with the correct blade - I'd presume the UFH cables don't go right up to the edge of the last tile in the doorway. I might be wrong though

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above pic's please. Good to hear a builder excelling at tiling as per... But I'm sure it probably is do-able, with a grinder or a multi-tool with the correct blade - I'd presume the UFH cables don't go right up to the edge of the last tile in the doorway. I might be wrong though

errr he said a BUILDER did it.....:lol:

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I would go so far as to say it serves you right, you got a builder to lay your tiles. Probably because he said he could do it, he's done loads before, it's easy. You should have got a tiler. Simple.

I

ian158

I would go so far as to say it serves you right, you got a builder to lay your tiles. Probably because he said he could do it, he's done loads before, it's easy. You should have got a tiler. Simple.

in thier defence the word builder covers a broad range...the client hires a builder to do the job from start to finish..relying on them to get the relevant trades to do it..or feel they are capable to do it..

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
in thier defence the word builder covers a broad range...the client hires a builder to do the job from start to finish..relying on them to get the relevant trades to do it..or feel they are capable to do it..
Sort of a fair point, but how many people come on here and say the same thing over and over, until the general public change how they get trades and what they get trades to do nothing will change. I am starting another re-do on Tuesday, this one i can get pics of. It's shocking. Done by a builder friend of the family. :yikes:

Reply to How to cut fixed porcelain tiles up to door frame? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks