Search the forum,

Discuss How often do you replace your grout floats? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I used a new one today and the difference it makes when using it was great. I forgot how much easier it is to remove the excess from the tile face and the joints stay fuller. I didn't realise how worn my old ones had got, they must be 18 months old.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Actual floats I'd say I used to be laxydaisy with too to be honest. But I guess the foam behund the rubber does get tired quite quick. I bet the biggest issue would be grout getting in the foam eventually and not letting it squash so much which is what gives it a perfect profile against a wall. So totally makes sense now you've said.

Squeegees I used to replace a lot as I'd lose the damn things. But the rubber on those would go too flexible to use quite quick.

Epoxy floats never die! They just ruin if you don't clean them enough.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
18 months old :yikes:

Was there anything left other than the handle. :smilewinkgrin:

I think I change mine roughly every 3 months. Ok, they are not expensive jobbies, but they do the job.

G

Gazzer

Depends on the tile for me. Large format and rectified edge I like a fresh replacement rubber blade. For bumpy whites etc as long as its ok then thats fine but for most travertine , limestone etc I like a softer float.

I

Ian

what floats you using to last 18 months..?

or are you telling porky pies about all this work you got on ..:lol:

The Rubi plastic handled ones, I buy 2 at a time, one for walls one for floors, so I suppose technically 2 floats have lasted me 18 months :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've got a new one,but my lad has one which I've had years,and it beats the hell out of the 'tile rite' one,utter crap

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
must admit, I find doing floors wrecks the floats, I use Marshalltown floats, and will get through about 3/4 a year.....but I probably work harder than you...:lol:

Reaction score
I have a box of Grout float's they last me about two pools each, then i replace them !! i also keep a box of new trowels, as i wear them down quickly, it's all part of what i call my consumables sponges,bucket, all the stuff that wears out quickly ,......

Reply to How often do you replace your grout floats? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen