Discuss Hi there, after some advice on a shelf, at the end of a bath. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

markdraper

Hi,
here is my first post, and I am looking for some advice.

We had a bathroom refit a fair few years ago, but now it's looking a bit tired, so I want to rejuvenate it.

There is a shelf built at the tap end of the bath, but it sits flush with the bath, it's had some water ingress as all the shampoo's etc were sitting on there, and the water making it's way on the top from the splashing.

It's got some Wedi Board, but tiles need replacing too, so I am wondering should the shelf been originally built higher than the bath height to stop this, if so, where do I go from here?

cheers

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd slope it slightly into the bath, and use a tile trim on the edge of the tile where it meets the bath if it does end up higher than the bath overall.

A slight slope of even a couple of mm over the length of a 200mm tile should allow any water to run back into the bath. If it's an area where the shower sprays it at times, slope it a bit more so the water quickly runs of and doesn't get chance to build up any. Your shower gels and shampoo's will still sit on there just fine with a slight slope.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for signing up :)

M

markdraper

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

So I don't really need a big step up shelf, just enough of a slope to drain off.

How would a tile trim work with that, as at the moment, it was just a bead of sealant, due to it being level with the bath?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's level with the bath and you have a slope, another bead of silicone should be fine and dandy. Use some good stuff that doesn't mould over time.

If you do end up with a step for whatever reason, a tile trim fitted well will hide the tile end (that is often biscuit and not glazed - if ceramic etc) so that's how to get around that problem if you end up with it.

No need for the step and the wedi board though if you have a bit of a small slope.

M

markdraper

OK, got you now, thought you meant a tile trim on the flush one.

Is it best to just put a bit more adhesive at the top end to get a slope, or are there any tricks?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you spread the adhesive evenly, and then push the tile into the adhesive with a bit more pressure at the end near the bath you should be fine.

What's the width of the tile that will be required for that area? (So the width between the bath and the wall)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah you'll be fine just spreading the adhesive as normal, and then just using a little more pressure on the end near the bath. Make sure you do apply some pressure to the other end though as you do want it to stick well and not end up with water trapped under the tile.

Use slightly thinner grout lines than the rest of the tiling perhaps, and make sure you push the grout in well when you grout.

You will get some water reaching the back of the tiles over time. So consider tanking the substrate (wood?) or replacing the wood with your wedi altogether for that bit so that you know it'll never be damaged by the water. Use a decent adhesive, and a decent separate grout. Not one of those pikey combined ones.

M

markdraper

well had a go with it last night, and it's ok, not exactly as I imagined it.

I couldn't get the height for the tiles to be flush with the bath and the rear is a little raised, but the last tile didn't fit quite right, it was a bit tight, so I tried to remove some of it with a tile trimmer, but didn't quite sit right.

But I need to get it done and usable by friday morning. So I need to grout tonight and then seal with white sealant, how long do I ideally need to wait for the grout to dry?

thanks for putting up with my silly questions.

Reply to Hi there, after some advice on a shelf, at the end of a bath. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay