Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Hi Hoping there are some plumbers here in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi I've been a member for a while now since doing my own bathroom, lurked around in the background picking up tips.
Recently our mixer shower has stopped giving out hot water in the ensuite. It is fed from hot and cold water tanks and the pressure isn't great. I was under the impression that as both hot and cold were fed by tanks that we could have a shower pump fitted to a new shower to boost pressure. The plumber that came was recommended by a friend and says that because neither feed is mains water pressure we can't have a pump fitted and need to get a "pressure system" fitted that will cost £4500 or a new combi boiler which will cost around £3500. Does anyone know if this is correct because all the pumps I've seen on the internet recommend a tank for both the hot and cold feed (which is what we have.

Thanks Andy

C

Colour Republic

Hi I've been a member for a while now since doing my own bathroom, lurked around in the background picking up tips.
Recently our mixer shower has stopped giving out hot water in the ensuite. It is fed from hot and cold water tanks and the pressure isn't great. I was under the impression that as both hot and cold were fed by tanks that we could have a shower pump fitted to a new shower to boost pressure. The plumber that came was recommended by a friend and says that because neither feed is mains water pressure we can't have a pump fitted and need to get a "pressure system" fitted that will cost £4500 or a new combi boiler which will cost around £3500. Does anyone know if this is correct because all the pumps I've seen on the internet recommend a tank for both the hot and cold feed (which is what we have.

Thanks Andy

If it's was working but has now stopped then I would check the shower first. You could improve things by making sure any shower valve is suitable for low pressure.

As for the pump I don't see why not, there may be other reasons it isn't suitable but not for the reasons given. Your tanks might also need modification to allow a pump but a whole new system is excessive

M

micko

If you have a hot water and cold water tank you can use a pump. You may have to install a bigger cold tank as you cannot let the pump suck all the water out of the tanks.
With a combi boiler your hot supply is dictated by how powerful it is and how quickly it can heat your water. No pump.
Mains pressure systems are as they sound you will get hot and cold at your mains pressure. You have to be careful installing these and understand the difference between flow and pressure. A poor flow rate is no good with this type of system and also you need around 2.5 bar pressure for it to work.

N

Neilseccombe

You can have a pump just need to fit Essex flange to cylinder and pull a seperate feed from your cold tank to pump, this would be a lot cheaper!

Reply to Hi Hoping there are some plumbers here in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks