Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all natural stone tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Swin

Hi all,question for you
I'm getting to do more and more natural stone tiling, which is fine,but struggling too price it right
at the moment fitting 600x600 20mm honed limestone,on a floor that runs out over 30 mm,it's taking a lot of time too lay,is this normal? Can't follow the floor at would have too many lips
screeded the floor but still way out,it not a straight forward job 60 m2 kitchen(with Island) diner,utility,porch
how would you guys price these jobs
as I have another limestone job in October too
swin

R

Rookery

I always price my jobs on day rate, but discussions of that nature should be confined to The Arms.

T

Time's Ran Out

I find it difficult to understand how you can take on the work of a stone tiler without the knowledge of how much it's going to cost!
If you've screeded the floor and it's still out then that's your first mistake - preparation is paramount.
60 square mts and your asking professionals to guide you through the process that takes years to master.
If you are DIY then this is too big a project for anyone to give advice and if you are a professional tiler you are out of your depth!
600x600 at 20mm honed limestone!

S

Swin

Harsh words ,the floor in each area ,are as level as I can make them in an old building,that's been renovated,please bare in mind I have screeded jobs as large as 1000 m within a 5mm tollerance and passed by engineers ,also much larger jobs but those were part of a team so can't take all the credit
I wanted to totally level right through but kitchen already fitted( not my choice) also high tissues would arise into other areas,which client won't accept
the builder instructed me to lay the tiles on a 1" slope which I have refused to do,after much discussions each room is totally level,but with a transition area between two rooms,the main client is thrilled with the job so far,I'm here just too ask advice,when complete,I can ask Doug boardly to check it out to pass the forum test,I'm sure he wouldn't mind
pete

S

Swin

Just to point out I'm not a diyer, and take great pride in my work,my diary is full,I charge more than many locally,but still very busy
not bragging just sticking up for myself after above posts
customer satifaction is paramount,even if it costs me time and money
im also willing to help out others in need,including a 30 yr time served tiler in Bolton last month,who job got condemned by a client,it turns out later he had never done a wet room before and it showed,he got an envelope redone for the price of grouting my bathroom I was doing in same house
all good in my world,do a favour you never know when you might need one in return

T

Time's Ran Out

No harsh words and no forum tests!
Just a time served tradesman protecting his trade with sound advice for a thread that suggested a novice attempting to undertake a contract outside of their comfort zone.

S

Swin

Re: Hi all natural stone
If you are DIY then this is too big a project for anyone to give advice and if you are a professional tiler you are out of your depth!
600x600 at 20mm honed limestone!

The job was pushed onto me to squeeze in as the tiler on site couldnt manage the job,if the rooms were totally empty,and I was able too level the floor correctly as a normal job,this would be an easier job to price,but as it stands I was enquiring how people manage to price jobs such as this,but after talking to the client on Sunday this turns out null and void as their both happy to pay hourly rates to continue the job to the same standard that I have started it
hope this shows how competent I am,if not well I guess my visits to here just ended
thanks for the advice on the cutters it was much appricaited

S

Swin

It is outside my comfort zone if that's what you call evenings and weekends,just too help a friends business as the tiler on site took one look and left lol

T

Time's Ran Out

Then you have your answer - day rate!
Don't know why your getting upset , only you know/say how competent you are and all I can do is read and give an opinion - that's what forums are for!
This is a Tilers Forum that is open to all skill levels from novice Diy to Heritage tilers and as such by reading the threads and replying I hope that a standard can be maintained.
I do hope that you continue to visit the forum as I'am led to believe that not every member is as miserable as me and some are quite friendly!

S

Swin

I have my moments too mate,I'm not upset I don't know you,tired maybe,but realised I have an extra week before I'm on enforced holiday so manic panicking gone down a level now lol

Reply to Hi all natural stone tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen